Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY (maybe) tank cover
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
DeathbyFM
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.23(Sun)2:28    Post subject: DIY (maybe) tank cover Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out the best option for a tank cover for my 70gal. So far, I'm undecided whether I want to do this myself or not, but after some brainstorming I came up with a viable DIY idea. I was going to buy some plexiglass sheets, cut them to shape, and then perforate them for ventilation. Does anyone have any experience drilling into plexiglass? I'm somewhat concerned with cracking it in the process. Or if anyone knows a place online that sells perforated plexiglass sheets that'd work too...
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drilling through plexi glass sheets are far easier than it sounds. The key here is to use a sharp drill bit and to securely secure the PG down with clamps or rubber tipped vise grips. You wouldn't want to make a large propeller of doom out of a sheet of PG that catches the bit. carbide and diamond plated bits are the best and will last for years too. but also make sure to look at what the bit is made for. while it would work, a wood drilling bit should not be used for PG.
mohammad.j.ideis
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.12(Sat)10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want ed to do the same thing to my 20g but never got a chance and when I thought about it I needed to make a door type thing to feed the fish so u need a small hinge or those stips that u could slide the pg into so all u really need is a few dollars a rust free hing & screws (if you choose te go that way)this is the best thing to do to for your 70g hope it works
it should fit like this ---->][<----
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: