Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
home made driftwood
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
multiplepets
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)10:32    Post subject: home made driftwood Reply with quote

Is there a quick and easy way to make driftwood from dead trees and other things like braches. I have made several pieces by boiling drying boiling and drying pieces of wood to sanitize them and remove tannis because I now have a piece that would look amazing in my tank but it is way to big to boil.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could boil some water and pour it over the wood that is in a bucket. Or if you have a large party cooler (not a plastic one. like a big metal one for beers) and put it on some hot coals that are still smoldering.
multiplepets
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the problem I don't have anything like a metal beer cooler that isn't plastic also I'm a 14 so I really don't have a beer cooler Laughing and I'm not talking about a stick to big for just a pot this thing is like 3.5 feet or 1.2 meters but thanks for the idea
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh how big is your freakin tank??? haha. well I would just get a big storage box and pour boiling water over it.
multiplepets
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.02(Wed)18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

my "freakin" tank is 4ft long and 16 inches wide so I have a lot of room in there for drift wood and I think that I will try to boil it in my bathtub but that is going to take forever
niff
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.04.04(Mon)9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

another option would be , collecting wood from a stream / river , I do this when the water is low and make sure the wood sinks before tanking it home ., pick pieces that will fit in your largest pot and boil them , then you can use fish safe sealant to stick the pieces of wood together to whatever shape / size you like ,, make sure the woods bone dry first though . can b
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: