Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help Identify these catfish?
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.02(Wed)10:46    Post subject: Help Identify these catfish? Reply with quote

I got these two catfish on August 26, 2010. They are supposedly the same species and they were the same size (about 1 1/2 inches) when I got them.

They are in my 135 gln. One of them has grown to 5 inches, the other one is about 3-4 inches.

The first thing the fish store guy told me is that they came in under the name of "Synodontis angelicus/eupterus" and that he said no such fish existed so he wasn't actually sure what they were. (His supplier sometimes sends fish with weird names)

Can anyone help me figure out if they are the same species and what that is?

The first picture is of the smaller cat last night:

The next picture is of the larger cat about 2 months ago:

This is he/she last night:

And the final is my larger cat last night upside down in his favorite spot under some wood:

diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.02(Wed)11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are hybrids between Synodontis angelicus & Synodontis eupterus and have been on supplier lists for a couple of years.

S eupterus are peaceful but S angelicus can be very aggressive so they could go either way.

Both grow to about 9" SL so nearly a foot TL.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.02(Wed)13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that good info. It makes sense then why they were called that.

I am not willing to risk any of my other fish if these guys get aggressive. Generally, is there an 'age' they reach when they would start to show aggression? Or, could it show up at any age.

When you say aggressive do you mean eat other fish? Or just chase them around? Or just show aggression toward each other? Right now they each have their own side of the tank; by their choice.

If I keep them is my 135 gln. tank large enough?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.02(Wed)13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

S eupterus can be kept with fish much smaller than themselves -a friend has a group in a tank about the same size as your's with breeding cories and endlers livebearers.
They may account for an odd fry but don't bother the other fish.

S angelicus on the other hand can be very aggressive and kill fish larger than itself. I do know of one brought in to my LFS having killed a red terror. You may get away with two in that size tank but if one starts to hide all the time it needs removing.

With hybrids who knows.....
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: