Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Silicon over old silicon?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Wayfarer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.27(Thu)3:35    Post subject: Silicon over old silicon? Reply with quote

I recently picked up a custom 125 gallon tank 48 x 28 x 21 (l x w x h) for a good price. Seeing as it had no canopy or glass lid I ordered a heavy chunk of glass to install a center brace (for the extra support and to create a place to rest a glass lid) and some GE Silicon I. I don't know how old this tank is, and although the silicon looks good enough to last a long time I wondered since I'll have leftover silicon could I add a new silicon bead over the old edges to beef up the seams? Or would spreading new stuff ruin the original silicon underneath? I was worried it might lift or peel the old silicon, or otherwise wreck the seal. Your knowledge is appreciated.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.27(Thu)4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it passed the leak test don't mess with it unless you plan to strip it all off and reseal completely.
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.27(Thu)8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with diademhill. If the aquarium initially passes the leak test, then I would not try to add more silicone on top of the existing silicone (as it will not adhere properly anyway).

If you intend to fix the silicone, then you should strip it all off, and then reseal it completely.
Wayfarer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.29(Sat)3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. The tank passed the leak test no problem. I'll take your advice and leave the silicon as is. Thanks again.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: