Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
crushed terra cotta substrate?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.20(Thu)20:49    Post subject: crushed terra cotta substrate? Reply with quote

Hi~
It's been a while since I've had any tanks and recently I've been wanting to set up a 20-long aquascaped tank. I'm planning to create plateau-esque shapes in the back corners by using rock rings to anchor substrate mounds in place. In order to save myself from buying a whole ton of rock substrate I was wondering if I could take a hammer to some old (but never used) terra cotta pots that I have lying around. My plan is to pound them into the smallest particles possible and use them as building blocks for said mounds with a sprinkling of gravel to cover. Is this koshir? I've read precautionary stuff about terra cotta raising pH, and I've also read that terra cotta leaches beneficial minerals (specifically iron) into the water that aid plant growth. Is any of this true? And will using terra cotta in a more processed form intensify these effects?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.21(Fri)3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest problem would be anaerobic bacteria pocketing where you can't gravel vacuum.

Terracotta pot sides can be used as bricks to support mounds but if you powder it it will clog.
Old terracotta is risky as plants are grown with pesticides and fertilisers and the pots are absorbent.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: