Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
pH won't go down
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
cdiienno32
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.18(Tue)9:07    Post subject: pH won't go down Reply with quote

Hey everyone so I've been trying to lower my pH in my tank b/c I'm starting a discus only tank but the pH will not go down. I have a huge piece of driftwood in there and a smaller grain of gravel which doesn't affect the chemistry of the water. My tap water naturally has a high pH and I've been adding pH down in my tank but its not changing at all. My pH reading is coming out to about 7.6....is there anything I'm not doing that I should be or something else I can use to lower it and keep it at a stable lower pH? Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated thanks! My tank is 70 gallons not sure if that matters or not.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.18(Tue)9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this link helps

http://www.firsttankguide.net/pH.php

There is really no sure answer for you, but you might have to build around your water supply.
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.18(Tue)9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the water specs out of the tap?
cdiienno32
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.18(Tue)12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean by specs? The minerals in the tap water? All I know is the pH of the tap water which is about 7.6
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.18(Tue)13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. SPECifications (pH, GH and KH). If your KH is high then altering the pH tends to be difficult and IME almost impossible to keep consistent.

7.6 isn't all that bad for Discus unless they are wild caught. I have read a number of accounts of people keeping Discus in harder water and some even successfully breeding them. A member of my aquarium club has been keeping Discus in 7.8 to 8.0 for many years and the fry seem to be very healthy. Keeping the pH consistent is far more important.

I would recommend staying away from any products (pH Down, etc.). They do far more harm than good.

I adjust my water (on the hard side, high pH) by mixing about half spring water during water changes and incorporating peat pellets in my filter and under the substrate. My tanks are also well planted. The spring water part could get expensive so you might want to even research a RO Unit (Reverse Osmosis).
cdiienno32
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.18(Tue)13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for the tip! I'll just ask where I get my fish at if they are already adapted to a higher pH or wild caught.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: