Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
[Video] Corys in Amazon on gravel
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2011.01.06(Thu)9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hope to see those photos soon, Dusko! Keep the topic alive!

here they are deborah Very Happy as promised. I tryed to get 3 different ones out of 9 I keep;

friendly D.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.06(Thu)10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous! :thumbsup: Three months is not very long (but it's a great start!) but perhaps you will do updates and keep us informed? Maybe in 6 months another photo, etc? That would be great.

Is that photo the gravel tank at work or your tank? I must say if that is gravel then it's a very finely grained type. It looks very nice to me and I'd use it if I had any! What is it called and is there a US equivalent? CaribSea (my favorite supplier) makes many substrates but I have not seen a gravel this fine, except maybe for Peace River.
Very Happy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2011.01.06(Thu)12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corys use theirbarbels all the time and 3 month pokeing into a substrate which apparently can erode their very sensitive barbels is a long time in my opinion.

I kept pandas once in a newly established setup on a very fine sand and they started loosing thir barbels. There are other things to consider unless the gravel is sharp.

No this sand is not the gravel I have at work. That sand is in my home tank. It is a swedish brand named Radasand and I honestly would not know an eqvivalent in states. It is fine 0,4-0,8mm and is very mature.

Friendly
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.09(Sun)7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an extra fine play sand and my Cories are ALWAYS in the sand. They never seem to not be digging in to it to search for treasure. My Albino Cories also breed on a weekly basis. I keep my tank at 78, which is a little higher on their scale, but they seem to be thriving. I keep them with Bristlenose Plecos and Peppered Cories and they all get along very well.
keithkyli
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.10(Mon)9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment: gravel is OK as long as they are round and smooth, the current is strong and the tank is vacummed weekly.

I have 2 peppered Corys which lived in a gravel-based (grain size: 0.7-1cm) tank for almost a year without significant problems. The gravels were smooth and gemstone-like. They would move the gravels about with their heads in search of food, sometimes making noises on the aquarium glass. They were put in the new tank with sand bottom (grain size: 1cm+) half a year ago, and they immediately showed their characteristic sieving behavior. They still make those noises on the glass sometimes. Laughing
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: