Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Microdevario kubotai fry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.10(Fri)13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Caton!

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.10(Fri)22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, gotta keep this line going in Australia, it's not exactly common here either! Laughing I'm sure you can find some already in US, easy to import stuff there.

UncleWillie wrote:
Maybe it's the perspective, but it looks like you have a pretty wide range of sizes. I think moving the big ones to another tank - like you are doing- will allow the smaller individuals catch up since they will not be having to compete with the larger and more aggressive feeders.

Yep, that has been a problem. Don't have any tanks that I could really move them to; parents keep breeding so I've got two types of fry in there that are anywhere from 8 weeks to newly born. I've been trying to compensate by overfeeding the tank, usually theres still a few worms or BBS floating around in the column after the fish have stuffed themselves full past the point of eating any more so I think they're getting enough food for now. Also try to feed the larger food before the smaller microworms so the bigger fish get full before the smaller food hits the tank. Moving them out should help a bit though, I think eventually I will have to find space to fit another 1-2 small tanks to rear fry if this is an ongoing project.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.03(Mon)7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an update - I took this picture a few days ago at 10.5 weeks old, can anyone tell which are the 5 I raised?

Unfortunately it has not gone well since new year! I absent mindedly did a change on my fry tank with treated tap water (instead of using water from the adult tank, then topping off that tank with tap water), went away for 10 minutes, came back and noticed the fry flipping out.

Quickly changed 90% with water from the adult tank but it was a bit late and I lost approximately 15-20 or about 1/3 of the existing fry. I put it down to the fry just not being used to tap water. The next day, I, quite stupidly in retrospect, did a bucket change on my adult tank to do a vac...went away for half an hour...and noticed all the adults swimming at the top of the tank.

x2!

Quickly did a 50% change with rainwater that was hastily treated and dosed with bicarb/calcium chloride to bring the GH and KH up. Unfortunately, one adult took the leap of faith that night and another two adults had lost the ability to orientate themselves the next morning. I then threw a big bag of carbon into the filter, something I should have done earlier. One has now recovered, one died shortly after. I didn't lose any of the 5 that I had raised.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.03(Mon)13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man! Sad day, unissuh! I hope the rest of the week goes better for you... and your fish. Wink

By the way - I can't tell which are the adults and which are the babies you raised. Razz Laughing
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to: