Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
want to ask about "stunted" fish
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.22(Mon)16:47    Post subject: Re: is there a "poll" forum here? Reply with quote

Queequeg wrote:
I'd like to see a vote. is anybody really dechlorinating, pre-heating, and doing 50% water changes, daily?

The recommendation of 50% daily water changes is because your tank is overstocked. In "normal" conditions, a 10 or 20% (20-25% is usually recommended on this site) weekly change would be sufficient. If a person does not have time to do 50% daily changes (which I do not) they need to stock their tanks accordingly. My tanks are stocked very lightly and heavily planted, which allows me to do monthly water changes rather than weekly. I also take water straight out of my tap (I live in the country with good, clean well water) at a temperature as close to the tank temp as possible. I have also seriously cut down on the number of tanks I have (at one point I had 14) because I simply do not have the time for a large number.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Queequeg
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.16(Thu)1:43    Post subject: bichir died Reply with quote

no, I didn't read any of the replies after I said I wouldn't, so your critiques of my attitude are still irrelevent and still unheard, but I thought I'd bring you up to speed.

the bichir was alone in a 20G, and he choked on a pellet; he was eating 3x a day and doing great. he usually didn't get to them until they were softer, and his mouth seemed plenty big enough to me, but last week he choked on one and beat himself nearly to death. I had to put him out of his misery.

all my other fish are doing great. I plan to get another tank soon after the holidays, and this year's project will likely be a sump system.

happy winter holidays to all, and happy fishin'.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: