Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
back ground question
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.24(Wed)22:29    Post subject: back ground question Reply with quote

I hate sounding like such a newb, but I am doing research into salt water tanks to start up a 55g between jan and march, and while I believe I have most of the basics down, there is one thing that bugs me:

Most of my sources/guides indicate using a background, either painting the backside of the tank or using the wall paper type, they seemingly place a lot of importance in this and it leaves me wondering, is it as beneficial as those guides say they are? or is it just to make it look like its in the ocean?

Can I please have some proper guidance and help?
Mazil
Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.24(Wed)23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly find it's so I don't have to look at all the cables and tubes that are on the back of the tank.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.11.24(Wed)23:22    Post subject: Re: back ground question Reply with quote

FrogSplash wrote:
I hate sounding like such a newb, but I am doing research into salt water tanks to start up a 55g between jan and march...

Don't worry we were all newbs at one time. Smile

FrogSplash wrote:
Most of my sources/guides indicate using a background, either painting the backside of the tank or using the wall paper type, they seemingly place a lot of importance in this and it leaves me wondering, is it as beneficial as those guides say they are? or is it just to make it look like its in the ocean?

I have usually spray painted all mine black, but they make various rolled products for this as well, which can be taped on. Either way, I agree with Mazil; it's really good for hiding all the junk behind the tank. I am often surprised how many aquarists ignore the back of the tank, for me it only takes a few visible wires to spoil an otherwise beautiful display. Reef displays will usually generate enough corallines to cover the back glass eventually. Of course if you are doing a thru-wall setup visible on both sides, then the opaque background is not desirable and both sides must be kept spotless. Best wishes for your success.

Last edited by FloridaBoy on 2010.11.25(Thu)19:05; edited 1 time in total
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.24(Wed)23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, while I'm only in the planning stages, one of my top ideas is to build up the tank around a smaller type of lion fish, so there are still many ideas to consider.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: