Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tiger Barbs Breeding
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
lazyfin7
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.02.08(Fri)15:23    Post subject: Tiger Barbs Breeding Reply with quote

Interesting thing happened today. Thought it was cool and wanted to share. I woke up to the sight of all of my Tiger Barbs and even other Tetras chasing my largest female Tiger Barb. I had noticed her belly getting bigger over the last few weeks and was researching the mating and breeding behavior of Tiger Barbs. I knew immediately that she was laying eggs and the other fish were eating them before they hit the bottom. The larger males were attempting to swim beside her and I think spawn with the female, but it was way too busy to do anything. I did not have another tank ready this morning, but I am totally interested in breeding them now. If I see this again, will it work to relocate the female and 1 male quickly to another tank or will that mess them up? If I want to breed them, should I follow the seperation and breeding process I have seen in other posts or would it be possible to do it this way?
Devon Greatwolf
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.22(Fri)23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to post nap you, but I am also interested in breeding Tiger Barbs and just wanted to be notified if you get any responses. Thanks for the piggy-back.

Peace be with you.

Owner: Have you ever seen a 26', 250 lb python relieve its self.
cuznhottie
Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.24(Thu)21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read if you can figure out which male she is most attached to, you need to put them in a separate tank before she lays eggs. Now I'm a newbie to this too, but from what I've read that breeders tend to place the female in the other tank first, feeding her some brine shrimp and allowing her to get comfortable. Then they add the male she likes in later and they breed. The trick is to keep them from being able to eat the eggs once they have been laid and fertilized. Placing marbles on the bottom of the breeding tank allows the eggs to fall to the bottom without the parents being able to get to them. Another is for planted tanks, usually mosses and grasses cover the eggs and the fry, protecting them from being eaten. And finally, just removing the parents once the eggs have arrived. The last one is only difficult because you have to watch them closely.
If anyone else who knows more about this can answer, how do you know when they are ready to mate? Or do they just mate whenever?
redfighter
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.22(Mon)14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey I have 5 gold barbs one I think is a female as she is duller and bigger than the other sthis one and another male both have red bellies and it looks like its ready to drop but I've looked around and it says only males get a red belly. is this true or can breeding females have this too?
please reply.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.22(Mon)18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

female gold barbs can have red bellies when they are in optimal conditions, not just for breeding. red bellies mean happy gold barbs in my books!
redfighter
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.23(Tue)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou that helps a lot. well at least I know their happy. next step is to know what to do with them? shall I put the female into a breeding net as I have many other species that would love to feast upon the fry.(I don't have any other available breeding tanks atm) this is if indeed they are mating. I havent known them to have such a red belly since I've had them so I just assumed they were mating their behaviour certianly seems to be showing that they are. how long before they drop ?
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.23(Tue)11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

that I don't know. mine have showed mating behaviours many times, but I have one 55g community tank, and I don't have any responsible means to raise fry, so if there ever are eggs, I don't know about them (they scatter eggs) and they likely get scaveneged.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: