Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10 Gallon FW Dark vs. Light Aquarium
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)8:51    Post subject: 10 Gallon FW Dark vs. Light Aquarium Reply with quote

I thought I might take a turn sharing my aquarium on the forum. This tank isn't very new, but underwent massive change a month or so ago (I had an Ich disaster which I believe was caused by a poor filter). I switched out the substrate and kept some of the old in a nylon sack for about three weeks. My ammonia dropped sometime last week and the nitrites dropped over the weekend. I've started stocking, and things are going really well.

This is an experiment I'm running with using two different light bulbs on my 10 gallon. One light is a &w flourescent (40W equivalent) daylight bulb. The other is the included 20W incadescent. One of them lights each half of the aquarium. It's rather tough to get a full aquarium shot due to the contrast difference of the two sides.

Here's the "light" side:

There are currently 4 neon tetras in the tank (plan to stock more if the water parameters continue to remain stable). The plant in the rear left is Cabomba Caroliniana (my favorite plant perhaps). The plant in the rear right is Echinodorus Augostofolia. In the front is my recovering eleocharis parvula (I had tried to use water-based fertilizers only and that failed. This tank has a layer of flourite under the sand). The seashell was something my wife dumped in the tank and I'm afraid to remove it now that the fish are in. Things are pretty stable so far...

Here's the "dark" side:

You can see the brightness on the left of that picture. The rocks are some carrib sea product from my LFS. They were rather cheap and didn't alter pH. The plants are Annubias (on the right, I believe two different species but they were unlabeled) and Java Fern (which is doing really well in this tank!).

Any advice is appreciated. The stocking plan is:

8 neon tetras
6 Red Cherry Shrimp (I'd like a small amount of help with algae)

Right now I'm loving the cabomba and the tetras. They both have great color! I'm hoping to have a carpet on the light hand side and leave the dark side rocky and craggy.

Here's my attempt at a full-tank shot:

(Note: I've been toying with the bubble wall to find the right location).

As for other setup:

It's a 10 gallon glass aquarium.
Marineland 50W stealth heater
Aquaclear 30 filter (no carbon, just sponge + bio balls)
DIY CO2 (This very quickly solved my algae problem when I was fishless. I've debated trying liquid carbon fertilization, but things were running pretty stable, so I decided to leave it in. I was also happy with the pH drop to ~7.3 from 7.Cool

Once again, comments welcome!
Torres2268
Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)9:42    Post subject: like the tank..... Reply with quote

if your a begginer nice job and if not your ready for the big tanks great job nice neon I like bigger fishy's thow... but all in all great job on your tank.... Razz
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really nice looking tank!!!! I like your decor and stocking plan. I really enjoy tanks with just small fish in them, and neons are some of my faves!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice inukshuk on the bottom left hand side of the full tank shot Wink
WylieFish
Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)12:53    Post subject: CO2 Setup Reply with quote

How did you design your DIY CO2 setup?
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tank!

Good luck keeping the RCS at 6 Wink
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)21:40    Post subject: Re: CO2 Setup Reply with quote

WylieFish wrote:
How did you design your DIY CO2 setup?

Drilled a hole throw a coke bottle and shoved a air hose through it. I then hooked it up to a cheap check valve to prevent aquarium water from going back through the hose. Before I added the quick growing plants, just having the bubbles go directly near the filter return was enough for the Java Fern + Anubias to fight back the algae.

As for that bubble ladder: After experimenting with my own types of diffusion mechanisms, including putting the co2 feed right next to the filter intake, I decided to pick up the bubble counter. It was fairly "cheap" (but I probably still paid too much for it) and it came with a plastic container to place your yeast mixture in. I believe it's the Hagen DIY co2 kit. I'd recommend following Craig's list, as there's always used aquarium equipment for sale.

In any case, the plastic bottle that came with the kit is rather nice for two reasons:

(1) I don't need a funnel to create the mixture
(2) It looks a lot less ugly, almost like it belongs with the aquarium.

In any case, as for the mixture I use:

1 cup of sugar
1/2 package of bread yeast
1-2 tablespoons of baking soda.

My first mix with baking soda lasted over four weeks. I'm on the second currently.

Thanks to everyone else for the kind comments!
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.21(Sun)17:07    Post subject: 10G FW Dark vs. Light side Update Reply with quote

Just some updates on the tank:

- My daughter has taken an interest in the plants. She helps add water during water changes and added her starfish decoration (which she is rather proud of).

- A whole bunch of snails invaded, not sure I mentioned that before, so I now have a bunch of snails I'm slowly removing. A few doesn't hurt, but I wish they would eat green spot algae, as I have some lingering on the glass.

- A added the rest of the neons, bringing it up to a mini-school of 8 fish. They seem somewhat healthy, but the dominant male from the quarantine tank appears to be harassing the dominant male from this tank. I'm hoping it settles down soon and they relax. I'm thinking about getting another plant to put in the "light" side of the aquarium to provide more hiding places. Here's a pic of the tank, any suggestions recommended.

-The shrimp have claimed the Java fern, and it's just coated with them. Here's a pic of one hiding:

The infant shrimp have claimed the cabomba and vesuvius but it's hard to get a pic of them. I think we're onto generation 3 of shrimp now. I will also highly recommend shrimp in tanks form now on. They work wonders in the tank, relentlessly cleaning. My algae problems have disappeared, besides some lingering green spot algae I haven't removed. I'm trying to find a non-scratchy way to get rid of it.

In terms of continueing maintenance:

20% weekly water change
2.5 mL daily dose of "Leaf Zone" (potassium + iron) for the fern/annubias.
RootMedic root tabs under the hairgrass, cabomba and vesuvius.
DIY Co2. My mixture takes 1 cup of sugar and lasts 4-6 weeks at a very slow bubble rate. This is *very* ideal because the pH drop is slight (.1-.3) and when the mixture runs out it does not stress the fish. I think if I combined with excel my vesuvius/hairgrass would take off. As it is, the cabomba grows half the height of the aquarium within a week. I also don't think my mixture would "scale" to anything bigger than 10-20 gallons.

Any suggestions appreciated! I was thinking about getting a 'red' plant in here somewhere, now that the existing plants are flourishing. Not sure what/where. It's been fun getting the balance of the tank right. The right side has a lower wattage bulb and needs liquid feritlization to thrive. The left side has a higher wattage bulb and a richly fertilized flourite substrate (under the sand). I'm really happy with the result, but I'm not sure if I'm just lucky so far.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.21(Sun)18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome setup, dude. I love the look of "dirty sand" substrate. Very Happy

29 G
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: