Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New addition to my family!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.09(Tue)8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

katienaha wrote:
Bjorn is getting neutered around 7 months of age, as per vet reccomendations, as he is a large breed and will need his joints to mature before.

Most of my large breed friends (some of them very exceptional show breeders) recommend waiting until about 14 months of age or so to neuter males, so the growth plates are closed. Just food for thought, if you can wait that long! Wink My Rott was neutered at approximately 1 year of age by the humane society that picked him up.

It's very refreshing to see the proper attitudes about "oops" litters and backyard breeding!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.12(Fri)20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.12(Fri)20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to kiss him!!
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.13(Sat)0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to...pet him?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.13(Sat)9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing You don't kiss your dogs, Caton? Wink Our dogs are very kissy, though they don't lick you if you don't want them to.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.14(Sun)0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

rales12 wrote:
Laughing You don't kiss your dogs, Caton? Wink Our dogs are very kissy, though they don't lick you if you don't want them to.

I think I will stick to kissing my goats for now, my dogs are too dirty Rolling Eyes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.17(Wed)18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very cute puppy, katie! I love black dogs.

The first thing I train any of our dogs to do is to NOT LICK me! I can't stand it. Instead, we put our cheeks together. The dogs love it.

The second thing I train them to do is to let me take food away from them, any time, any place. That starts on Day One. Do any of you do that? A dog must be trained to let the owners take food or any object away. If not, you could have big trouble on your hands especially if you own a pit bull! Laughing Which we did.

Right now, we have an Australian Shepherd and I noticed about three years ago that she was going deaf. Fortunately, shepherd dogs respond to signals, body language, and eye movements even more so than voice commands. I believe it's very common for this type of sheep dog (border collie types) to go deaf at about seven years of age.
nik wrote:
Most of my large breed friends (some of them very exceptional show breeders) recommend waiting until about 14 months of age or so to neuter males, so the growth plates are closed.
My friends have a new bullmastiff puppy and this is just about what they were told by their vet, who also has large breed dogs. If they are neutered too young they won't be able to bulk up like they should for their breed.
Very Happy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.17(Wed)18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The second thing I train them to do is to let me take food away from them, any time, any place. That starts on Day One. Do any of you do that?

I do that, our dog after 5 years of not doing it will let me...but will push me away while kinda growling. Guess who is getting more training?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.17(Wed)19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

always always always always we train to not be posessive about food!!! often we will make the dog lay on the bed, and WAIT while the food is sitting inches from its face... until we say the dog can touch the food. and someimtes.. halfway through, we "take a bite" and then give it back to them. Also, we don't feed them until we ourselves have eaten.

its good to train your dogs with hand signals that go with verbal signals - if they do go deaf, they will have the hand signal to pick up the slack.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: