Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
bristle worm...
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
BPH
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.03(Fri)7:15    Post subject: bristle worm... Reply with quote

I recently found a group of bristle worms in my reef system, they are pretty big, they are like a inch long clear/white with spines that have a couple threads on them and when it ate it turned red... can bristle worms cause harm to any of my fish and coral? this is the first time I ever seen them, and I havent encountered any problems yet, but I want to make sure.
75 gallons
lunar aqualight lighting system
Turboflotor 1000 multi Skimmers
fluval 405 canister filter
currently treating with herbal ich treatment.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.09.04(Sat)13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for bristleworms; you first need to identify the species, because some are considered to be bad (Pherecardia and Hermodice spp.) and others are actually considered to be benign or even good for your tank (Eurythoe group). I suggest doing an internet search on these types and see which photos match your worm, as a first step.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.10(Fri)12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're usually beneficial scavengers, and to be honest, it's almost impossible to get rid of the really common ones. Do be careful while working in your tank, though... Bristleworm stings are very, very painful and can have long lasting effects. It's astonishing how many of those little bristles can get embedded in your hand before you can react!
Banker Boy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.03(Wed)5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't mention what type of fish you have, but, if compatable, Arabian Dottybacks are VERY attractive fish that do one heck of a job on bristleworms. They are mean to fish of similar shape though. But they are fun fish to watch and beautiful IMO.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: