Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I am thinking of starting a SW aquarium...Again
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Mazil
Members

PostPosted: 2010.10.25(Mon)9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the occelaris clowns as a first fish. They adjust to captivity nicely and with a tank your size I doubt there would be any issues.
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.25(Mon)10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. But jsut remember they are part of the damsel family Wink if you do get some get them at the same size and try to get both under .75 of an inch. I got a bigger one and a small one and they ended up fighting Confused
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.25(Mon)11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for corals I will be doing some SPS..those are the cheaper ones right? I want it to be mostly captive bred fish and corals because I know I will fail somewhere along the lines (hopefully not that big, but I know that everyone makes mistakes) and I want that to not be with $1000 fish and corals. Right now I am directing most my learning to reefcentral just because if you post something it gets awnsered within 5 minutes with lots of info. Easy to get lost reading there because of all the info gathered.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.25(Mon)13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

sps are the harder corals to keep. I would start with softies and zoas.
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.25(Mon)15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined reefcentral too
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.10.27(Wed)1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton- I would actually describe softies as the cheapest and easiest to care for coral. Partly in terms of the cost of specimens, but mostly in terms of the cost of equipment. SPS have much higher requirements in terms of light needed, circulation, water purity, and feeding. It's your call, though!
Reefcentral is a great place, you'll get good advice there. Wink

Quote:

if you do get some get them at the same size and try to get both under .75 of an inch. I got a bigger one and a small one and they ended up fighting

I wouldn't advice doing that; I think you may have gotten lucky with a mild pair the second time, if it worked out.
If you buy two clownfish at the same time, they should be a mated pair. Make sure they get along at the store. If you MUST buy two without knowing if they're compatible, buy one fully grown fish- it must be a full female- and one tiny, undecided juvenile. Introduce the juvenile to the tank first. If you end up buying two in the same stage of development, they ARE going to have to fight to determine dominance. Make the mistake of buying two clowns that have already become full females, and they'll fight to the death- once they've become female, they can't turn back the clock.
Bear in mind that single clowns do just fine in captivity, too. Wink Although I have to admit, I am very attached to my spawning pair and wouldn't want to give them up in favor of a single.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.27(Wed)12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my journal in the photo album, I am giving all my plans there.

This tank might really happen, I am exicted because I hear its not a hobby, its a way of life. (heard that from a guy on reefcentral giving me advice)

Now to sell a shotgun...and a few aquariums...

I think I might set-up my 15g as a qaurintene...would that be okay? I have a 20g high also but that tank is a piece of junk (not the glass or holding water but just loaded with crappy hardwater stains).
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.10.27(Wed)19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sump will soon get it's own "crappy hardwater stains" and that is often why a tank becomes a sump Laughing
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.27(Wed)22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
A sump will soon get it's own "crappy hardwater stains" and that is often why a tank becomes a sump Laughing

Lol, than I guess it fits the bill for a sump or quarintene.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: