Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Plywood Prop Tank
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.10.21(Thu)11:53    Post subject: Plywood Prop Tank Reply with quote

Built a 48X36X12 (121cmX91cmX30cm)Plywood prop tank. Total tank cost about $100.

List of materials:

4'X8' sheet of playwood 3/4" thick
half a gallon PondPro
box of nails 2 1/2" Drywall nails (think I used about 1 pound)
47"X11" inch 1/4" thick glass
4 - 2"X4" X 8'
1 - 2"X3" X 8'
GE Silicone I
3 - 3/4" bulkheads

Was very simple to put together. I'll put a sump underneath with a mountain of rock and Chaeto in it.

I have a MH pendant to hang over it.

katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.21(Thu)14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool!!! works out to 330 L. not a bad size for 100 dollars. What are you going to do for a lid/light/etc??

The only thing that bothers me about this is it seems very.. low to the ground. Your viewing window is effective, but won't most people be tempted to look from the top being that it is so low to the ground?
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.21(Thu)16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it's going to be a frag tank. If it's lower TO the ground it's easy to move around frags
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.10.21(Thu)23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

katienaha wrote:
cool!!! works out to 330 L. not a bad size for 100 dollars. What are you going to do for a lid/light/etc??

The only thing that bothers me about this is it seems very.. low to the ground. Your viewing window is effective, but won't most people be tempted to look from the top being that it is so low to the ground?

Yes it is low I had to do that so I could reach around it. This is for Farming not for showing. The windows isn't really needed. I just thought it would be a nice addition.

Its a little deceptive because of the size of the tank. That thing is huge. Its actually taller than most tank stands 30 inches. Which puts the rim at 43" inches which is perfect for me to lean over and get to the middle.

I have a 150 watt MH 10K pendant to hang over it. Which I plan to upgrade to a 250. 10K bulbs look crappy but they get the best growth. It won;t have a lid. That would be a hassle with me reaching in to frag all the time.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: