Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Stingrays
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
mandle
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.15(Wed)18:04    Post subject: Stingrays Reply with quote

I definitely am not getting one of these (no spare big tank/no pile of money on the counter) but today at the LFS I saw a tank with about four small stingrays and a nice display tank set up with 2 pretty big ones. They had spots so I think they were motoro ones? Anyway, my question has to do with their "tails." I am just curious if they amputate the tip off before they stock them, or do they leave them? I did not look too close at the small ones but on the big ones the tip looked kind of blunt (although no idea what they are supposed to look like). If not removed, how dangerous are they to people if someone was hit by the ray? They sure are neat looking fish! A little one was 90% buried in the substrate with just his eyes and the very top of the head peaking out. Someday when I win the lottery...someday..... Laughing
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.15(Wed)23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure that stingrays that are kept in captivity have their barb removed, so that stinging is not possible.

I would imagine that if the barb was left on, depending on the species, a sting would range from very painful to lethal.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.16(Thu)2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't they sting at all really. I know a guy near me breeds motoro rays ( think he is getting out of it now) but I don't think they sting or if they do its like a bee-sting, just hurts for a little bit.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.16(Thu)10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I've read on freshwater stingrays implies the barbs is extremely painful (up to 6 month recovery) and that the barbs grows back every 6 months, leaving discarded barbs at the bottom of the aquarium. Not the easiest of things to deal with.

Here's the first Google hit for "stingrays pet" which confirms through dangers of a sting. http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aquainfo/freshwater_stingray.html

I wouldn't trust anyone if they told me the barbs was removed.[/url]
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.16(Thu)13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure they don't amputate, it's just a occupational hazard when keeping stingrays, just like lionfish on the marine side...
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.16(Thu)15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or anemones, Jacko I heard just got stung by one and his hand swelled up Shocked
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it depends on the species of 'ray, on how dangerous their sting is. I was just reading that it is painful for a very, very long time... Probably best to just avoid getting stung. Wink I would just assume (for safety's sake) that the stinger is left intact.

On the marine note - I know a guy who was stung (bit?) by a stonefish (is that what they're called?) during some tank maintenance. He said it hurt like nobody's business and swelled up, but apparently he's not allergic because he didn't die. Confused He took some Benedryl and just went to bed to sleep the worst off. Shocked
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just talked to the guy I said raise's motoro's, he said they do sting but only if you are careless, he said he had been doing that for 7 years and has not gotten stung.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: