Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: SNAIL Infestation! Why? What should I do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
macika
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.23(Thu)19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
That is 150 litres or 40 US gallons but the height is why you have problems.
80cm (31"0 tall means ythe light can't reach down through the water column and IME the only way to get plants growing is to start with tall plants like jungle vallis., aponogetons or even floaters or go for low light plants. Forget any sort of watts pre gallon calculations as they won't apply.

I would ditch the CO2 and to be honest I wouldn't dream of putting mbuna in a tank of these dimensions.

hey!

I know and I absolutelly aggree. I am planning to buy a 200 G tank, Rectangle one of course. Well My Pseudotropheus lombardoi's have lil fries now. They like my tank though but in Septmeber maybe they are going to move to their new place Smile
ta2dbetty
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.08.25(Tue)13:52    Post subject: A Sexual Reply with quote

The pet store person told me all it takes is one! They reproduce on their own. They are A Sexual creatures. SOrry to hear about your problem. I too debated on getta a snail. They are so cool! But then she told me that and I changed my mind...
ta2dbetty
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.08.28(Fri)11:26    Post subject: interesting link, lots of helpful ideas here, Reply with quote

http://www.firsttankguide.net/pestsnails.php

Hope this info isn't repetitive to what you've already been told, havent read all your replies...

Thanks
Ursa
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.08(Wed)5:40    Post subject: Snail infestation Reply with quote

[I][color=darkblue][/color][/I]

The best thing to clean out a tank of unwanted snails is a little critter called an "Assassin snail" [I]Clea Helena[/I]. I have a 36-gallon tank, with live plants and you always get a few 'squatters'. These little snails will clean things up quite nicely. They will suck the unwanted snail right out of its shell! They don't bother any of the fish, or each other. Love 'em!

Very Happy Ursa
mih
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.10.01(Fri)10:40    Post subject: Assassin Snails Reply with quote

I would be curious to know more about the Assassin Snails?

I am really grateful full to the person who mentioned it! :o)

My mini snail infestation has only just begun (noticeably in the last few days: 1 snail 2 days ago, 9 pulled out today.

I have a 55 Gal tank, which might once have held 2-3 clown loaches well enough, but it is already populated with 1 6 inch pleco, 5 1" glofish and 5 neon tetra's. I have also heard that clowns do not enjoy being in groups of less than 5 - is this legit?

I do not wish to waste money on a kuhli, if I can not be assured that they will effectively kill, and so mention of the Assassin snail is intriguing (an unnerving, being that it is yet another snail, so I have aknee-jerk response to that). But I will get over it, if they are truly reliable?

Anyone else have experiences with Assassin Snails

I suppose I could *try* 2-3 clown loaches, but I want to make sure everybody's happy.

(Is it just me, or does it seem like fish personalities and needs are as difficult to manage as those of humans? Criminy what have I gotten myself into?!)
;o)

Anyway there it is: Snails anyone?

mih-
mih
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.10.01(Fri)10:46    Post subject: Assassin Snail Feeding Photos? Reply with quote

Addendum to previous post:

I didn't see this until just now, but this was fascinating and the photography was exceptional:

Link to an assassin in the process of feeding on a pondie:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235172
multiplepets
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.02(Wed)19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a snail outbreak and what was recomended to me by the local fish store owener was a yo yo loach they don't get to big if you have a small tank I have one in my 50g tank and I'll soon be getting him some buddies. But only one yo yo and one weather loach cleared up about 50 snails in a month in fact now everytime I go to the pet store and ask for snails just as a treat Laughing also these guys have longer mouths for hard to reach snail safe havens
carpalstunna
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.28(Mon)8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started my tank a few years ago, I made the mistake of calculating my tank stocking based on the size of the fish I was buying not adult fish. Among a few other fish I have 3 clown loaches and 3 yoyo loaches. While they havent exploded in size they have gotten bigger and I feel I can get away with this for a few more years before I need a bigger tank. I mainly got them because I had a snail issue. They do a good job keeping snails in check and I NEVER see a snail during the day. At night though BAM! snails everywhere. I think the snails know the loaches are less active at night as well or something. I find the occasional empty snail shell but they seem to wait deep in the substrate until the lights go out.
As far as clown loaches being happy in smaller groups my three seem very happy and healthy. They are very active, always swimming around together and other than an initial outbreach of ich, I have never had a problem. My 3 Yoyos are usually together as well so I have 2 3 fish shoals basically. I have a medium planted tank so I think that helps with my water quality and a decent amount of filtration although I am sure some would say I need more. I think there isnt a problem with a group of three loaches in my experience as long as you know that you will one day likely have to get a bigger tank or you may not be able to keep them forever.
DiabloGal
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.08.05(Fri)1:22    Post subject: Snails Reply with quote

Ahhh! I'm new on owning a fish tank..... At the time I was moving into my new place and my former roommate left the fish tank behind. It was empty and clean... There was only 3 empty snails so I threw it out and didn't realized there was 2 or 3 still in the gravel. Cleaned that as well and added new water and did everything of chemical, etc. Added in few fishes.

3-4 months later after that ... I have massive snails infestation now. I hate snails as it's starting to crowding the tank even though it's huge tank... So I don't know what to do about snail.. Someone at petsmart had said I should move all fishs into another small tank and clean out huge tank and replace a gravel with new one then refill water and put chemicals, etc. Then put fish back into huge tank - would that be good idea?

Let me know ... Thanks!
niff
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.09.13(Tue)8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've began getting snails now aswell , at first I was horrified , but having done a quick google , I know that I have snails that arent going to eat my plants , and my loaches will keep the numbers down ,,,

on to the asassin snails , my dad got two of these to try on his 55 g tank after a major outbreak of snails , and he sings their praises said they do a fantastic job and its very interesting to watch them hunt down their pray
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Jump to: