Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
The things you find on Craig's List
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.31(Thu)18:45    Post subject: The things you find on Craig's List Reply with quote

I did a very bad thing. *hides* I have no where to put a new tank and can't even have my old tanks with me at the moment. Yet, I search Craig's List for a 30 gallon tank, for kicks and giggles. Of course, I find a deal that is almost too good to be true. Tank, (nice) stand, glass canopy, and light for $80. Nothing wrong with it, the owner just upgraded. Rolling Eyes They're not far from where I am, but I really truly honestly have no where to keep it, even if I was not going to set it up right away.

I also found an ad with this title.

Quote:
Finding Nemo (and his house) a home-Fish Tank-PRICE REDUCED - $10000

It was $17,000 or something earlier today. I clicked on it just to see WHY on earth it would cost so much. Instantly, I recognized it as the 250 gallon saltwater tank that's set up in the McDonald's near my parents' house. Shocked That was really strange to see. They didn't even say where it was located or who owned it, but I could tell. (You can see the menu in the background if you look close enough.)

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/557087820.html

Have you found anything interesting or too hard to pass up?
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.01.31(Thu)19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, there is a radio show here that does this thing, they search craigslist for interesting and dumb things. Do they have to be fish related?

If not then there where a couple stupid ones I have seen:
-Will trade elderberry jam for other flavors, I made too much eb jam... free
-VHS tape boxes for katana, I want katana free
-Need date for high school reunion,,, free
-Looking for 250 gallon reptile tank, need it for free free
-WTF 32' sail boat, wtp 200 boats

And I won't even mention the Personals section Rolling Eyes

The most tempting fish related one I saw on there was a 3,000 gallon aquarium for 1500. It was used at the local sportsmans club to hold walleye but they relocated and didn't have place for it. It was set on a pair of train wheely things and needed a track to move around. Rediculous but so worth it, if only my parents had understood...

Lol, that is crazy that they are selling the tank in McDonalds, I don't think it is real though. Bummer, I would do take that in a jiffy. Wink
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.31(Thu)19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't have to be fish-related, I guess, though there are plenty of really weird things listed. If we can keep it close to fish-related, that might be best for the sake of sanity. Laughing

Nope, they really are selling it. The ad is too detailed to be fake, and it wasn't that well looked after anyway. Plus, I think they have signs on the tank advertising the sale. I will double check this weekend, maybe have my sister or brother check it out.

If you have a car and transportation supplies, and $10,000 of course, I'm sure they'd sell it to you.
Doc Daneeka
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.31(Thu)23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't 10 grand a bit pricey? Laughing

Doc

Thanks for the avatar and sig Jun!
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.01(Fri)1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 20g long with two HOB filters, hood, and lights for $30. Smile

I see quite a few 55g setups (tank, hood, lights, filter, heater, stand) for around $100 - $200. It's hard to resist, but what I'm really after is a 6 foot tank! I've seen them for around $300 - $400 but never in my immediate area. I'd have to take a road trip to get one, which is a real possibility once summer comes!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.01(Fri)7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Daneeka wrote:
Isn't 10 grand a bit pricey? Laughing

That's what I was thinking. They said in the ad that all together it cost $19k, but I'm wondering how much of that was maintenance. You should look at the equipment list and see if you think it's worth that. I really don't know.

Nik, $30 with filters? I would definitely buy that, even if I have to keep it in my parents' basement!
BarebackDreamer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.02(Sat)19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/for/549518463.html

Shocked I'm looking into getting a spotted Raphael, and it's suddenly looking doable. If I can get up to the cities from the southern border of MN.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.03(Sun)2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nik, $30 with filters? I would definitely buy that, even if I have to keep it in my parents' basement!

I bought it, and I just set it up in my basement! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.18(Wed)9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

May and August are the best times to buy tanks when you live in a college town!

College kids' lease is up, they graduate, or move out and don't want to move tanks - so they sell entire setups for dirt cheap. I just sealed the deal for a 75 gallon tank with stand, Fluval404, light, and misc. for $150... And with some birthday money from last week, I decided to nab it!

So, I hardly have time for the fish I have now, and don't really have the room, BUT I have plenty of storage for when the time is right. It will indeed be a fun project for when I am ready to set up a really nice planted display tank. I had to tell someone!
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.18(Wed)12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleWillie wrote:
May and August are the best times to buy tanks when you live in a college town!

College kids' lease is up, they graduate, or move out and don't want to move tanks - so they sell entire setups for dirt cheap. I just sealed the deal for a 75 gallon tank with stand, Fluval404, light, and misc. for $150... And with some birthday money from last week, I decided to nab it!

So, I hardly have time for the fish I have now, and don't really have the room, BUT I have plenty of storage for when the time is right. It will indeed be a fun project for when I am ready to set up a really nice planted display tank. I had to tell someone!

How unfair is that? I've been searching every single site I can find that sells tanks for an affordable 75 gallon tank... and I haven't been able to find anything that is glass. I wish I could find a deal like this... I could definitely not pass it up! AND I have room to set it up! I even know where I'd put it! Laughing Rolling Eyes
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: