Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
a newbie making a diy background?!?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.08(Sun)12:38    Post subject: a newbie making a diy background?!? Reply with quote

Well if you have seen my recent posts you know that I am fairly new to the hobby, but have definitely taken to it. I've quickly gone from my initial 5 gallon to 5 tanks all together lol. For the 30 gallon tank (yay for a neighbor throwing one away!!) I decided to attempt a 3D background. I've come across so many articles and pictures of them and I thought they were absolutely beautiful, and look so natural! Soooo.. I wanted to share some pics of my progress Smile

at this point I was looking for things to do with some of the leftovers lol

epoxy and sand

heres another cave I made by carving and then using the silicone to glue some gravel to it but decided against using it because I think it will stand out too much

So the plan is to use sand as the substrate... ATTEMPT some live plants, and some driftwood... wish me luck!! What do you guys think?
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.08(Sun)12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fun project! If only I didn't hate touching styrofoam so much... Sigh. Smile Would love to see some pics of how it looks when you get the tank all set up!

I kinda like the little extra cave... if you put some plants right around it, it might not be so noticeable.
pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.08(Sun)13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I thought about that... not to mention it may blend in well with the sand. I have a little more time to think about it before I start to put water in to cure everything. Since I want to attempt plants, should I put anything under the sand? I don't think I'll use much beyond java fern or moss because I don't want to have to change lighting, or add co2 and all...at least not yet. Are there any other plants anyone can recommend?
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.08(Sun)13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about plants... I only grow the plastic kind Wink But if you're going to have rooted plants, a layer of Flourite (or something similar) beneath your sand can't hurt.

As far as low light plants, this thread is well worth checking out. Smile
pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.08(Sun)13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link Smile I'm still doing the research but if I remember correctly I think I've read that flourite is no good for corys... gotta check on that! I'm definitely going to have them in my tank lol. I suppose I'll stick with plants that will root to wood or rocks rather than growing in the sand....
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.09(Mon)6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some People say putting garden mulch under the sand will help but I'm not sure. I just put the plants where I wanted them and they took off! It is much easier to grow plants in the sand than gravel!
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.09(Mon)9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good, nice work. Nice how you've taken that extra step and made some bottom decor aside fror the background with the spare bits, I think that'll make it fit in that little bit more.
pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.10(Tue)8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally filled the tank today and added some salt to help the curing process. I also added a powerhead and a 12inch airstone and 24in bubble wand to increase the circulation.

The good news is it's been about 6hrs and there hasn't been any change in the pH Smile I know it's too soon to tell but I'm definitely happy that I spent the extra cash on the epoxy resin. I also have my filter on another tank in the house that is cycling (fishless with ammonia) so by the time this is ready I will be able to skip the cycle! yay!! I haven't figured out the stock yet (looking into fish that are good with soft water because mine is EXTREMELY soft) but so far I love the way this is going to look Very Happy

and yes, unissuh I am so happy that I made the rocks and cave too... I think they look more natural than what petsmart has. I've been keeping my eye out for a nice piece of driftwood to add but so far no luck...may have to bite the bullet and buy that.

For any of you that have done this before, would it be safe to add my sand in now, or should I wait until I do atleast complete water change and have just the freshwater?
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.10(Tue)9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

the place I had most luck with finding wood, is on a riverbank on sandbars or eddys, and bring a saw - root wood is twisty and cool looking, but usually still attached to the tree that got washed away!
pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.10(Tue)10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately no rivers nearby but there are quite a few lakes so I have checked a few of them out. To be honest with you I got to the point where I'd be happy with a good looking heavy dead branch! The few pieces I have come across have been too rotted. I did find a nice looking one at petsmart that isn't toooo expensive and I think it would fit in nicely.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: