Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Shrimp are "left-handed" and "right-handed&qu
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Aquarium Science  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.22(Thu)12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its ture I donly read the abstract, but for disease I defnitely see it important, the other one just tickled me though lol..I'm always reading scientific papers for my science courses so I kind of wanted to know what systems there are, but il research more to see what I can find in terms of improving or innovating aquaculture
duel_jetty
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.07.25(Sun)17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciklido wrote:
Intersting study! but kind of pointless right

Actually, a fantastic paper came out just last week that demonstrates exactly how science that appears pointless can turn out to be super useful. The author has reviewed all the research and suggests that stressed animals tend to be left-handed.

Since stressed animals grow more slowly, the food industry should probably choose right-handed individuals or species. And knowing the handed-ness of an animal could also be useful for improving welfare and training techniques.

There still needs to be more research before we can all jump on the left-handed fish bandwagon, but stil...science is awesome!

Rogers, L. (2010) Relevance of brain and behavioural lateralization to animal welfare. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. In press (Available online).
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.26(Mon)13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it is otherwise I wouldnt be studying it as a subject in university lol

I do not believe being mroe selective about grown food industry animals would be a wise thing to do, being mroe selective only means more animals will be sent through the garbage shoot because they do not meet standards. These animals should instead be sent to public viewing in recreational farms such as ones I know.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.27(Tue)14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? I'm not following how a better selection for breeding stock would result in more culls.

If anything it would increase productivity as the end result without affecting culls - either way there is always a set number of animals in the starting population to pick from & anything that doesn't get picked gets culled.
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.28(Wed)2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since stressed animals grow more slowly, the food industry should probably choose right-handed individuals or species.

Quote:
how a better selection for breeding stock would result in more culls

No one said anything about breeding Rolling Eyes

Its not likely that within the same herd where you have left handed animals, there will be any right handed animals, and if there is, the ratio will be large to small, if there are left handed stressed animals, why wouldn't the rest be stressed as well thus also left handed since they are the same species and require same standards of living?

If this is true what would we do with the stressed animals animals?

Why not just improve the conditions and test to make sure no one is stressed at all instead of selecting the very few right handed "non-stressed" subjects. It seems odd to be selecting right handed animals from left, exactly what time difference is there between a fast growing animal and a slower one?
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.28(Wed)4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciklido wrote:
Its not likely that within the same herd where you have left handed animals, there will be any right handed animals, and if there is, the ratio will be large to small, if there are left handed stressed animals, why wouldn't the rest be stressed as well thus also left handed since they are the same species and require same standards of living?

So, instead of choosing the non-stressed animals over the stressed ones, just improve their environment and reduce their stress, so you therefore have better/more options?

Is it probable that how creatures handle stress differs from one to the next, much like humans? For instance, what I consider a high-stress situation, somebody as close to the same environment as my husband may not consider stressful.
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.28(Wed)5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, these are primitive creatures I am asume we are talking about, without personalities and different likes...... ...farm animals or fish like you see in the grocery store swiming around in those small cube tanks. or the crabs and lobsters in the open tanks...I don't think they would at all think their tanks are comfortable and they are thriving,

Do you think one of those lobsters feels stressed? Id like to find out, lol I don't thinka lobster will say, bob dear, I don't know about you but I really enjoy these elastic bands on my claws, do I look pretty?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.28(Wed)10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciklido wrote:
No one said anything about breeding Rolling Eyes

It's kind of implied the selection process, if any, would be applied before farming I.e. at the breeding phase. Rolling Eyes Picking redundant animals, growing them up & then removing them based on lateral preference makes no sense whatsoever; if they were going to be removed due to stress then they would be removed regardless of lateral preference.

Ciklido wrote:

I don't see how you can make that first statement - e.g. this paper looked at lateral preference in cow herds & if you look at the graphs (Figures 1 & 2) the herds are split roughly in half between "lefties" and "righties". I also don't see the logic behind some stressed animals = all stressed animals = all "lefties". Confused

Ciklido wrote:
If this is true what would we do with the stressed animals animals?

Probably nothing if they don't drop over and die, just that they would gain less weight and thus it would be less productive than a non-stressed herd.

Ciklido wrote:
Why not just improve the conditions and test to make sure no one is stressed at all instead of selecting the very few right handed "non-stressed" subjects. It seems odd to be selecting right handed animals from left, exactly what time difference is there between a fast growing animal and a slower one?

To give you a practical and economical answer: because improving conditions in this circumstance would take more time and effort than pre-selecting your animals to suit. The whole point of farming research is to improve your productivity - e.g. simply starting with all right-handed cows makes much more sense than producing left-handed and right-handed milking machines & sorting your herds out everytime you have to milk them.
 Forum Index > Aquarium Science All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: