Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pond - kiddie swimming pool
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.06(Tue)2:26    Post subject: Pond - kiddie swimming pool Reply with quote

We've been wanting to put a pond in for quite some time now, but it's never really been in the budget. Now that we have the dogs, we realize we can't put in one of those soft plastic pond liners, because the dogs will likely go into the pond and put holes in it.

We're stuck with the pre-form ponds, and the prices are pretty high for very low gallonage. We bought a large hard plastic kiddie swimming pool for the dogs yesterday, and that got me thinking. It's a lot larger than any of the preform ponds I've seen, and it's super cheap: around $10.00. Granted it would be perfectly round, and therefore not as "natural" looking, but I'm okay with it. We could landscape around the pool to make it look better.

I'm wondering if there's some sort of non-toxic waterproof paint I could use to spraypaint the brightly colored pool black (not sure if it would be a pond with fish in it, due to the dogs, but the dogs would likely drink out of it so it has to be safe). Even if I can't find paint... it's still not a dealbreaker since I'd probably put sand/rocks on the bottom and the sides would eventually get algae covered.

Has anyone ever tried this before? Thoughts/advice would be appreciated. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.06(Tue)6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as well, actually. The LFS here has koi inside in a kiddie swim pool (as well as enormous indoor pond running throughout the building... but I digress), and it looks like its been up and running for quite some time. When I saw that they had it, I decided that if I ever get around to putting in a pond, that's probably how I'd do it.

They make several different shapes for kiddie pools anymore, don't they? I mean, a perfect square isn't any more natural looking than a circle, but, still.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.06(Tue)13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out the paint and it's pretty dang expensive... which is probably why the liners are so much more expensive than the kiddie pools.

I found quite a few pre-form liners for sale on CL, so I'm going to figure out what my best option (I want to go with the one that has the most gallonage for the best price) and go from there.

If I did add any fish, it would just be a few goldfish. There's no way I'd be able to put a pre-form pond up that would even be large enough for a single koi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.10(Sat)1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's a thought to disguise the blue, get some sand and silicone and smear the silicone on and sprinkle it heavily with sand, that will help and the algae would grow on that and complete the covering.
Just check that the silicone will hold to the plastic before you start, some plastics won't hold silicone well.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.14(Wed)11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fern wrote:
Well here's a thought to disguise the blue, get some sand and silicone and smear the silicone on and sprinkle it heavily with sand, that will help and the algae would grow on that and complete the covering.
Just check that the silicone will hold to the plastic before you start, some plastics won't hold silicone well.

Wow what a great idea! Thanks!
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.15(Thu)4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Glad to help!
If the silicone won't stick look into other tank safe goopy adhesives, scuffing up the plastic will help with the adhesion as well. You may also be able to stick some small gravel on it as well.
MrJames2785
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.05(Thu)21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fern wrote:

Thanks a lot Fern, this is the answer that I've been looking for.
jamesbrowning
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.08(Thu)7:08    Post subject: Re: Pond - kiddie swimming pool Reply with quote

nikelodeon79 wrote:

We bought a large hard plastic kiddie swimming pool for the dogs yesterday, and that got me thinking. It's a lot larger than any of the preform ponds I've seen, and it's super cheap: around $10.00. Smile
great idea, if its OK gonna try it out myself thanks
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: