Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
tanks of the months over stocked????
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.03(Sat)11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and I was wondering...... a while back I wanted to have a few discus in a 55 gallon but you guys told me it wasn't wide enough. so why do the other people have like a group of them in a 55? I'm not trying to point fingers I just want to know.

Because you don't have nearly enough experience. It takes years, regardless of how dedicated or intelligent you are.

Listen. When I was in my teens I had many tanks, bred and sold various "difficult" species, worked as a manager at tropical fish store and set up/maintained dozens of tanks. I thought that I knew all there was to know.

I didn't and still don't.

There are plenty of people who have more EXPERIENCE than I do and I listen to their advice. It is not always based on "rules of thumb" and sometimes doesn't make too much sense to me, but I have killed far too many fish through apathy in my life. In fact, I will state that I have killed more fish because I didn't listen to sound advice than you will ever own.

Experience is the key to this hobby and listening to advice from experienced keepers is the best thing you can do for yourself and your fish. You would be very surprised to see what a seasoned hobbyist can do compared to a novice. And you shouldn't be surprised at what a novice cannot do.
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.03(Sat)14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking about overstocking or what not. I'm talking about the actual space for the fish not volume.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.04(Sun)9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak dylpickles wrote:
I'm not talking about overstocking or what not. I'm talking about the actual space for the fish not volume.

Please see the post pointing out that the tanks you're picking on were from back in 1998... when the Aquahobby site was still a young fry. Laughing Do you have an issue with any of the current TotM?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.04(Sun)13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'm sorry ....I mean you can keep a pair of discus in a 29 gallon with a water change every day. I guess it just depends on how much maintenance you do? I try to keep my tanks low stock so I don't have to do to much maintenance. and yes 1998 was a while ago... when every one could only breed livebearers in there home aquariums Surprised
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.21(Wed)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about experience (lol) but if the fish does not have enough room no matter how many water changes it might stunt, theres a difference between puting a fish in an cup, than putting 10 fish in a bowl..... thats where experience comes in handy
eric2008
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.23(Sun)20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

rales12 wrote:
Marcos Avila wrote:
What you're doing in this topic is equivalent to me accusing all of you of peeing in your bed or drawing on your parents' walls, and using pictures from your family album to back up my claim Razz

I'm not going to comment on the topic -- but, Marcos... this made me laugh aloud. Laughing Laughing Laughing

There are a number of inexperienced hobbyist who take guidelines that are handed out to beginners and apply them to ALL hobbyists.Both Topper and Marcos are correct in their comments:both funny and topical.
I have seen Discus kept in 20 gallon tanks for breeding purposes by experienced breeders.But your LFS would tell you not to keep them in anything smaller than 55gals.Both would be right.I have seen someone say that Discus shouldn't be kept in 55 Gallon tanks because they can reach 8 inches in length and the normal footprint for a 55 is only 12 inches wide as if the fishes spines are as stiff as a 2X4 board.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2011.02.20(Sun)21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to stand on the side of Marcos and Topper here. If you want to go by the 1 inch per gallon rule, then effectively you can keep a 10" Oscar in a 10g tank. I definitely don't recommend that.

When it comes to proper care you need to look at several factors. I wouldn't try to keep Angels in a 55g tank because it is too short. However I would keep them in a 47g tall hex tank or the equivalent. Even 29g tall tanks are acceptable.

Honestly, ak dylpickles you seem to be unwilling to understand the delicate balances that are needed to keep aquariums properly. You need to consider ALL of the factors not just one or two. Smaller well stocked aquariums can be well maintained especially when planted with live plants. The plants add as extra filtration which call allow for slightly more stock added to the tank. Now, I wouldn't add fish that are heavy waste producers, but small tetras and the like do not produce a lot of by products and can be kept in smaller tanks quite well IF the keeper is diligent in testing the water, doing more small percentage water changes more often than doing one huge water change over longer periods of time.

It's all a learning process and being willing to accept the experience and advice of people who have many more years of keeping fish than you do. In the beginning you err on the side of caution and then the more experienced you get the more leeway you can have. Now if you'd rather not do as much maintenance then of course you are going to understock your tank.
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: