Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
tanks of the months over stocked????
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)7:52    Post subject: tanks of the months over stocked???? Reply with quote

I have noticed that a lot of the tanks of the months have been over stocked. I aam not trying to say that people are over stocking their tanks its just that I don't think it should be tank of the month if it is over stocked
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are! I've always hoped someone would say something about that. This one is the worst. I am also not trying to rant, it just doesn't make sense to me that they would be TOTM's, considering the motto of this site.

29 G
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you both gain a little more experience in this hobby, you will realize that there is a difference between a novice overstocking and subsequently stunting/harming their fish and an experienced fish keeper who understands the environmental needs of their fish and is able to provide proper care.

I would never suggest thirty neons in a 29 gal. tank to a novice, but an experienced fish keeper can easily maintain that set up with optimal results, recreating an environment very similar to that found in nature - something that is both aesthetically enjoyable and at the same time responsible to the needs of the fish.

Instead of looking at the stocking numbers alone - look at the amount of time the tanks you are questioning have been set up and running. Most are by seasoned hobbyists who understand what is necessary to maintain the quality of life we here at AoA advocate for all fish in our hobby.

Everything is relative.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when I gain a little more experience, I can properly keep zebra danios and serpae tetras in a 3 gallon aquarium???? Confused

I do realize the difference between a novice overstocking and a seasoned fishkeeper filling their tank, but some of these are over the top.

29 G
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have noticed that a lot of the tanks of the months have been over stocked.

Quote:
Yes, they are!

Quote:
So when I gain a little more experience, I can properly keep zebra danios and serpae tetras in a 3 gallon aquarium???

For something like that, you would need A LOT more experience.

Others?
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how much experience you have, you can't keep danios in a 3g. It's not a matter of experience or water quality. It's a matter of swimming room. Having experience doesn't give fish more space.

And yes, maybe I shouldn't have agreed that many of them are overstocked whenever that was the only one I know of that is to the extreme.

This is also one that caught my attention though. http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank9811.php

29 G
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

and on the zebra danio page http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_danio.php it clearly states that the minimum tank size for it is 40 liters or 10 gallons. even if I did 50% water changes on a 10 gallon I wouldnt put 5 zebra danios and 5 serpa tetras in it. sorry but 3 gallons is just to SMALL unless its for breeding purposes with only 2 SMALL fish or for some kind of SMALL shrimp.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.07.02(Fri)21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from Topper's excellent points (the owner of that danio tank had decades of experience and lots of other tanks to move fish around as he pleased), here's another point to consider:

The tanks you are pointing fingers at are from the very first year of existence of this website, when it was no more than a tiny, free personal website on GeoCities, without any expectation of becoming what it's become nowadays, 12 years later. There was no organized and well thought-out "message" to be delivered at the time such as the current Responsible Fishkeeper's Manifesto nor slogans like those in my signature below. These were all developed over time as the general demand for them became clearer and clearer, and the site, it's community and myself, all matured as a whole.

What you're doing in this topic is equivalent to me accusing all of you of peeing in your bed or drawing on your parents' walls, and using pictures from your family album to back up my claim Razz

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.03(Sat)1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos Avila wrote:
What you're doing in this topic is equivalent to me accusing all of you of peeing in your bed or drawing on your parents' walls, and using pictures from your family album to back up my claim Razz

I'm not going to comment on the topic -- but, Marcos... this made me laugh aloud. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.03(Sat)5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the way I tell if my fish would be happy. first I think of the 1 gallonper inch rule. then I take there size and tank and make the fish me and the aquarium a room size. I would not want to live in a room the size of a bathroom my whole life! even if I had all the niceties.
and I was wondering...... a while back I wanted to have a few discus in a 55 gallon but you guys told me it wasn't wide enough. so why do the other people have like a group of them in a 55? I'm not trying to point fingers I just want to know.
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: