Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Is this tank big enough for my goldfish?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Aivre
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.06.12(Sat)15:13    Post subject: Is this tank big enough for my goldfish? Reply with quote

Okay, I have received SEVERAL contradictory answers to this question over the past two days, so I'm trying again here, because I have a feeling that most of the folks here know what they're talking about.

I have what I believe to be a Lionhead Oranda goldfish. I may be wrong about his species. This is what he looks like:

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr241/NetHybrid/Louis_02.jpg

Please feel free to correct me with his correct species.

I'm very confused about what would be the ideal tank size for him. He will be the ONLY fish living in the tank, and I do not plan to add more. I'm aware that goldfish are extremely messy eaters, produce a lot of waste, and get to be rather large as they grow up. Currently he is about two to three inches long, with the tail.

I recently bought a four gallon tank as his previous owner had been keeping him in a glass bowl with no filtration or live plants (yikes, I know.) My question is whether or not this will satisfy him until the time comes for an upgrade. People have said that I would need a 20 gallon tank, but that seems really extreme for one, three inch fish.

Please give me your advice and opinions; I'd like to keep this fish happy and healthy.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.12(Sat)15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be anything contradicting a bigger tank Laughing

However for the begining of a goldfish's life a 20g is a minimum, I feel a 30g would be best for full grown ones. Please scroll down on this and look at the picture: http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=57406
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.06.12(Sat)15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
There should be anything contradicting a bigger tank Laughing

However for the beginning of a goldfish's life a 20g is a minimum, I feel a 30g would be best for full grown ones. Please scroll down on this and look at the picture: http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=57406

I've seen that picture several times now, after browsing other topics Smile I was told goldfish only grow to the size their environment allows, and that there was really no set "size" to any species. I know, too, that a goldfish's growth can also be stunted by their environment. But will 4 gallons be okay for the mean time until I can find something bigger?
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.12(Sat)15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it will not be. Unless it is within a week I'd say with daily waterchange's. Fish do only grow to the size of their tank, however their guts do not. Their insides continue to grow cause great pressure on their stomach, until the pressure is so great they die Sad
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.12(Sat)15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed with caton. don't waste your time with "upgrades". Go and get a 30g tank right away (look in your local classifieds, 30g tanks are popular). A 30g with lots of filtration (aim for a filter rated for minimum 45g tank) and you will be set for the fish's life.
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_goldf.php
Aivre
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.06.12(Sat)15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the advice Smile I'll certainly do what I can to get him a bigger tank asap.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.12(Sat)15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, prolly best to return the fish or donate to somebody with a pond. The tank would need to cycle, look in the article section of this website (to the left) and read up on that; remember google is your friend!
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.06.12(Sat)18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fish is a mixed breed fancy goldfish.

It is an oranda mix as it has the raspberry thing on the head but it cannot be a lion head as these lack a dorsal fin.
It can't go in a pond and could reach about 8" body length looking at it's body shape.

I agree -get looking on craigslist or freecycle for a 30g plus tank.
20 gallons would do for a few months if one turns up but this fish deserves better.

4g is not suitable.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: