Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Our goldfish
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Hanne_07
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.28(Wed)8:23    Post subject: Our goldfish Reply with quote

Thank you for the welcome, now I like to tell you a little bit about our Aquarium.

We got it a few weks before Easter. The first tank we had ( how horrible) was a 5 l tank, we were told this is beautiful for 2 goldfish. Did not know better that time... poor things... after we had everything set up we bought our fishies, we nemed them Humphrey and Hepsiba. After 3 days the water was yucky cloudy brown, so my husband and I got alarmed and our common sense told us that this is not right. We jumped on the net straight away, learned that 1 goldfish needs at least 10 l of water. So we got our AquaOne 380 immediately, 38 l so another 18 liter more. We set it up asap with nice plants and a couple of stones, gravel and pebbles.
Now our fishies are lovely, happy, rearrange the landscape all the time, come and "wave" with their little fins when we are there.
It is just so beautiful to look at them and to look after them....

Never had real drastic problems, hope this will stay so Wink

Only at Easter Humphrey got stuck in a rockhole, when I wanted to watch them I seen only Hepsiba and a rock with a tail fin. So I immediately reached into the tank and as soon as I grabed the rock and moved it a little Humphrey put his reverse gear in and managed to come out, quite a few scales missing and he was shocked too. I could see those big question marks in his eyes. I treated immediately with Pimafix and Melafix (preventive) to avoid some infection to come along.
The missing scales are growing back and both our fishies are happy as Larry Very Happy
By the way, I replaced those rocks with a nice terracotta vase both our fishies can swim through without getting stuck again. And Humphrey first swam arround it for half a million times before he was game enaough to swim through Laughing
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.28(Wed)8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you've seen that goldfish need 10 litres -maybe ten litres per inch of fish?
100 litres per goldfish is a decent starter size. Your Aqua one 380 holds about 34 litres and is a nice size for half a dozen neon tetras of a few guppies but is not at all suitable for goldfish.
I posted this on your previous thread but it bears repeating;-
This may give yo a better idea of potential size -the fish in the bag is about the same as your pair.
Hanne_07
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.28(Wed)8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, THANKS Diademhill,

I replied on the other post too, Wink
and hope we can get the big tank soon.

Could be that it was meant 10 l per inch, cannot really remember, but isn't it remarkable horrible that some people out there ( in some pet shops mind you) say 5l is fine for 2 goldfish? And we still can see goldfish kept in a plain bowl? And the box of this small tank shows about 3 goldfish on there. ( Now we keep this tank as a hospital tank, hope it never will be used as one )

Well in the meantime we did learn a lot better....
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.28(Wed)9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Look at that goldfish! Its enormous!

I wonder how many people who purchase baby goldfish are completely unaware of how large they get?
Hanne_07
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.28(Wed)9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there are many, many, many.... I was one of them...
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.05.05(Wed)10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldfish not only get big they can live a long time too. Eighteen years for singletails and at least five for doubletails, who can probably live a lot longer but people kill them by overfeeding and crowding which probably leads to poor water quality. Orientals have kept Goldfish in bowls but are quite willing to do frequent water changes which keep water quality up. Small tanks are long term killers from stunting and other affronts to quality of life issues for the fish.
Vertebraillemery
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.01(Sun)12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Is that a real fish?!
It is so big... Do all goldfish grow like that? I have one small one who is going to go into a 55g tank. I wanted to add more, what is the 'limit' as to how many can safely live in a 55g?
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.01(Sun)14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is a real fish, and yes most can grow that big depending on a lot of things.

I would say 4-5 orandas in a 55g along with good canister filtration.

Vertebraillemery wrote:
Wow! Is that a real fish?!
It is so big... Do all goldfish grow like that? I have one small one who is going to go into a 55g tank. I wanted to add more, what is the 'limit' as to how many can safely live in a 55g?

Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: