Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Yellow Goatfish - advice needed
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sunshine84
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.08(Thu)3:02    Post subject: Yellow Goatfish - advice needed Reply with quote

Approximately 4 weeks ago, I added a Yellow Goatfish (Parupeneus cyclostoma) to my aquarium. I was feeding 3-4 times per day (more on weekends) with a variety blood worms, vitamin enriched mysis and brine. I had been unsuccessful in attempts to get the Goatfish onto dry foods. Anyway, the Goatfish was missing yesterday, and has probably died. He was not on the floor - so must have buried himself in the rockwork.

These fish have wonderful personalities. Although, before I consider purchasing another one, I wanted to get some advice from anyone that has experience with this species. I realise this fish has a high metabolism, so had attempted to ensure it was well-fed. Although, now I am wondering whether this fish required even more feedings that what I provided.

Very disappointed, and unfortunately, I think my poor judgement may have been what led to it's demise Sad
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.10.10(Sat)16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,
well my first suggestion would have been to check the floor, as they are known jumpers; but it sounds like you already looked there so we can rule that out (unless you have a cat or dog that may have picked it up off the floor).

I'm not a Goatfish expert... I really don't think you did anything to kill it, Fenner says they are pretty hardy by nature; but I know others consider them to be difficult to care for, so maybe it depends on how they are collected.

I have sold a few of them at the retail level over the years but never kept them in my personal tanks. It's hard to say what happened but I would not hesitate to try another one, just keep in mind they will predate shrimps, crabs, worms, etc; so this is a species usually chosen for larger fish-only aquarium stocking.
sunshine84
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.10(Sat)20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Smile

I'm contemplating adding a different species of goatfish, although will probably wait until after the Christmas period. I don't have any shrimp, crabs or featherdusters in the tank - so that's not an issue. It's more finding a goatfish that's small enough - as my next tank upgrade probably won't be until May 2010.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.10.30(Fri)21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, keep in touch....
markiecork
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.22(Thu)16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its habitat Coral reefs and flats of sand or rubble.its behaviour is Swims lazily or hovers in schools above the bottom during the day and forages after dark.It Feeds by probing the bottom with its barbels in search of prey, usually at night or during low-light periods. The diet includes annelid worms, crabs, ophiurans, and to a lesser extent, small fishes.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: