Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
how to keep mosquitos out of my 75 gallon pond.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.23(Fri)22:35    Post subject: how to keep mosquitos out of my 75 gallon pond. Reply with quote

my pond is in a huge garden in my backyard. I have 2 goldfish (both about 3 or 4 inches). well they are actually those 26 cent feeder fish haha ( but hey they are great fish) my pond is a still water pond with no fountain or anything. it has a cage over the top to keep out large leaves and my 2 dogs (golden retreiver and a yellow lab golden mix. they both love swimming) I feed them pond koy food and they love it. there is also some wild bullfrogs but no bigger than the fish. my back yard leads to a ditch so we have a major mosquito problem and they get in the pond as well. is there any thing I can put in the pond to prevent this but is still safe for the fish? my dad suggested those mosquito repelling braclets, would that work
Maestro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.24(Sat)8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a filter, the pond needs water movement and cleaning. Mosquitos breed in still water.
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.10.24(Sat)12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish eat mosquito larve. If you want the ditch to be mosquito free put some fish in there. I am amazed that large pike and other large predator type fish end up landlocked in small ditches after coming in at Springtime to spawn when the ditches are much larger but it does keep the insect and other small critters under control as the predators get hungry until they are caught by larger predators or die from being in a drying ditch.

If there are any house gutters jammed up or old car tires around that are holding water fix them or at least get rid of the water because these are the best breeding spots for mosquitos. I often hear people talk abou having ponds with no fish which is an error. Any pond that does not have fish is a mosquito waiting to happen. Your pond should be mosquito free, in fact; ponds with fish should help keep the mosquito population down by being an attractive place for females to deposit eggs.

This is not exactly what you asked but this little lesson on mosquitos should help a lot of folk, like myself, who do not handle the little bloodsuckers very well even knowing that evrything has its place.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.24(Sat)14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK that helped a lot. I just needed to know because the mosquitos infested my house this year and got in bedrooms, sink and bathtub drains, and in the toilets. so yes that helped a lot. and maestro, I know I need a filter for the pond but I am short on money because of the economy so I can't afford one.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.24(Sat)15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a powerhead that could help for the moment.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.04(Wed)18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay well my goldfish died over the weekend due to a heavy rain that may have been acidic. but it also may have to do that I did not think to clean it like a regular tank. rookie mistake I guess
Maestro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.04(Wed)19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

59FIFTY wrote:
okay well my goldfish died over the weekend due to a heavy rain that may have been acidic. but it also may have to do that I did not think to clean it like a regular tank. rookie mistake I guess

I disagree. You should have done more research on ponds before you bought one. Please do some reading and ask questions here before adding new fish to your pond.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.04(Wed)21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no I have had the pond for several years. I just decided to add my goldfish to it after I cleaned it out. he seemed lonely so I bought 3 more and 2 of them died. but if I ever decide to add more I will do more research
markiecork
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.22(Thu)16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept goldfish in my pond. for about five years it's worked well. I never see mosquito larvae, ever. They winter just fine with a tank heater . In fact, they get pretty big! We give them a pelleted goldfish food .it's easy to skim out any leftovers, so the water doesn't get cloudy. In warm weather I tip the troughs and scrub or power-wash them once a week.We also takes place biological filtration.
williamblake621
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.19(Thu)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow sounds good, my environment has lot's of mosquito especially in evening.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: