Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How to make a DIY algae scraper!
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.09(Fri)15:43    Post subject: How to make a DIY algae scraper! Reply with quote

First start off with these materials

A shishkabob (?) stick

A used gift card

A knife

And aquarium safe silicone

Start off by cutting the flat end of the stick like so

Then when you cut the stick enough (no more than 1 inch and no less than 1/2 inch insert the card while the knife is still in the stick like shown below

Then take the knife out and insert the card the rest of the way like so.

Now, use your silicone to glue the card in place and make sure too wrap the full split of the stick (just the part that is split) and let it dry. so it should look like this

This is what your finished product should look like

This is a virtually free tool and is easy to use. Sorry about the quality of some of the photos... I have been exhausted but thought I should share this to keep people from buying one.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.09(Fri)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just take the card and reach my hand in the tank...and what is up with pic #2?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.09(Fri)18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also curious to whose face you are blocking, and why in the world they are grabbing their crotch Embarassed
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.09(Fri)19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I noticed the crotch-grabbing until just then, but thanks for pointing it out! LaughingLaughing

I think your algae scraper is going to be useless at scraping GSA which is what most people would have trouble with in established tanks. A good magnet cleaner would probably work better...

Also, thats a really bad way to cut a stick. If you suddenly slip, you'll get a nice gash on your hand.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.10(Sat)14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in my biggest tank and my smallest tank, and the rust colored algae in new tanks came off very easily. Haha in the pic my friend must have done that when I took it, but a hint is "The giant snow-wheel kid"... but this is to keep from getting your hands all wet and keeping the dirt or soap from your hands from getting in the tank. The knife doesn't really cut it you just put pressure on it and it will split it fairly easily. I think it works great, but that is just my opinion. probably not as useful for large tanks. It is just cheap if you have the stuff and not a scraper.
multiplepets
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that if you have an old toothbrush it works great. First heat water and dip in toothbrush to kill any hitchhikers from your mouth then trim the bristels short about a mm long so they are nice and stiff. I guess then you could mount it on a stick like the post above but o well also this way is technically recycling.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: