Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Eggs....?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Quitty_Quat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.30(Tue)9:31    Post subject: Eggs....? Reply with quote

I'm 90% positive both of the fancies I have are female, neither are showing breeding stars, so I guess one of them just... went ahead and dropped them anyway.
Unless someone wants to tell me I have an alien species taking up residence in my tank, can I get a confirmation that these are all at least infertile? I don't see any dark spots... they could be anywhere from 1 to 3 days old, school's been taking all my attention this week.
Definitely going to get the fuzzies out now.

Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.30(Tue)9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think infertility is a safe bet - especially since most of them have already gone fuzzy. Smile
Quitty_Quat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.30(Tue)9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because a lot more haven't gone fuzzy, of what there are. Less than I'd expect even if they were laid over the past few days. Cool
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.30(Tue)15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fish do not show outward appearances of sexual difference. Sometimes female fish will spawn regardless if there is a male present or not. At times a female will change sex if there is not male in the group but I have not heard of this happening with Goldfish.

Generally male Goldfish will show a saw tooth edge to pectoral fins (or you can feel them) head growth types will at times show white spots on the Wen or head growth. I do not know if this is what you are calling stars.

The eggs that you have will probably get eaten and are probably not fertile if your judgement about the sex is correct. Raising fry, correctly, is a lot of work and you might want to think very long and hard about encouraging the fish to reproduce.
Quitty_Quat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.30(Tue)21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mayes wrote:
Sometimes female fish will spawn regardless if there is a male present or not. At times a female will change sex if there is not male in the group but I have not heard of this happening with Goldfish.

That's what I wanted to know, I have never heard of goldfish changing sex either, but a random spawn wouldn't surprise me. I'm quite confident I've sexed these two correctly, both their vents are convex and neither have shown any sort of 'breeding' behavior like I'm used to seeing when there's a definite male in the tank. They've usually ended up getting removed because they'd completely over stress the others. I'm not looking to raise fry (neither of my fish are even remotely good breeding stock), the eggs really just took me by total surprise; it's never happened before. And since no one's indicated that this could be anything other than eggs, I feel good about removing them.
Thanks for your input!
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.31(Wed)3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any nerite snails?
Quitty_Quat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.31(Wed)9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't, and have had generally bad luck with the 'mystery' snails in my tanks... they always die... Embarassed
But that's pretty much all my lfs carry.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: