Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Creating Anubias mutants by irradiation
 Forum Index > Aquarium Science  Reply to topic   Post new topic
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.08(Mon)17:07    Post subject: Creating Anubias mutants by irradiation Reply with quote

http://kasetsartjournal.ku.ac.th/kuj_files/2009/A0908210950286875.pdf

Quote:
Aquatic plants in the genus Anubias are popular among aquatic plant enthusiasts who enjoy collecting novelties. [...] The price of Anubias plants is rather high and they grow slowly (Rataj and Horeman, 1977). Several different propagation methods may be used, including dividing and tissue culture. Using radiation induced mutations, especially from ionizing radiations such as gamma rays, X-rays or neutrons, is another method to increase morphological and genetic diversities in aquatic plant species.

Quote:
As a result, in this study acute gamma irradiation resulted in a higher percentage of mutation. Moreover, radiation associated with in vitro culture could induce mutation in a short time, giving novel characters. If the mutations were interesting and attractive they may have high market value. Dwarf varieties of A. congensis N.E. Brown could be very popular with owners of small aquariums, which could open up a new customer group.

Quote:
Three mutant lines were obtained from this research.

Sounds like something out of science fiction. Laughing

Hey, lets create some mutants by irradiating 'em...then sell them for lots of money!

Some of their mutants actually look quite attractive. Kind of makes me wonder where certain Anubias variants actually come from...A. nana var nana comes to mind.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.08(Mon)17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder what happens if you radiate dwarf baby tears, can you get a smaller version?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.08(Mon)19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it depends whether you manage to disrupt the right gene (and not disrupt any genes that are essential to life).

Why don't you try it and see? Twisted Evil
bozistheboss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.09(Tue)2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll end up with a Little Shop of Horrors poking its head out of your aquarium and complaining about water quality.
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.09(Tue)5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be interesting if creatures (plants included) could communicate by some sort of sound about conditions and attitudes.
bozistheboss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.09(Tue)7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, maybe develop a plant that has colors in its leaves that change according to pH values (er, aside from the obvious brown when the high or low pH kills the plant!).
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.09(Tue)10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would lose it if a plant poked out of the tank and said 'Feed me Seymour!' Laughing
coryfan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.11(Thu)19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fern wrote:
I think I would lose it if a plant poked out of the tank and said 'Feed me Seymour!' Laughing

You know what's funny is that I have an anubias nana 'petite', which is a newer cultivated form of the original anubias nana, and seems to grow much faster than the anubias nanas in one of my tanks.

Interesting study.
domsriltz123
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.08.18(Thu)0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it depends whether you manage to disrupt the right gene (and not disrupt any genes that are essential to life).

Why don't you try it and see?
 Forum Index > Aquarium Science All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: