Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Diy wet/dry filter
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vetbed is trademarked and is a polyester pile rug. Not the crappy filled flat cushions that you are thinking of.
http://www.amazon.CO2.uk/Vetbed-White-Fluffy-Pile-40X30/dp/B000UGDO5C/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=outdoors&qid=1265105693&sr=1-17

I have some that has been in the pond filter for about 6 years. It gets powerwashed and then dunked in a bucket of pond water before being put back. It traps all the algae killed by the UV so the filter doesn't get clogged.
ibm450
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice oddball808, its true when they say that simple things usually look the best, and I reckon as it is in the picture it looks sweet!!!

what about all the hype about the algae turf scrubber? just thinking if using a algae scrubber as the primary filter, would that be sufficient enough and do bye with all these filters and bio media, I mean, its very cheap to set-up but I don't see it as the #1 type of filtration choice in these forums or else were - even though the logics behind it is very very clever?

if the ATS is a very good idea, would it be an ideal filteration method for freshwater setups? Embarassed

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give me a better step by step? I will be needing to build my own sump filter for a 240g very soon. I could buy one but I would rather make one.... But I have never used a wet/dry or any kind of sump filter... So I'm pretty clueless.
oddball808
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibm450 wrote:
very nice oddball808, its true when they say that simple things usually look the best, and I reckon as it is in the picture it looks sweet!!!

what about all the hype about the algae turf scrubber? just thinking if using a algae scrubber as the primary filter, would that be sufficient enough and do bye with all these filters and bio media, I mean, its very cheap to set-up but I don't see it as the #1 type of filtration choice in these forums or else were - even though the logics behind it is very very clever?

if the ATS is a very good idea, would it be an ideal filteration method for freshwater setups? Embarassed

I would not use an algae as my main source of filtration as it provides no mechanical filtration. However if you have a sump and were contemplating adding a FW refugium, I'd consider going with an algae scrubber instead. You will get a much better and more well rounded system with a DIY wet/dry.
they can be beneficial for nitrate removal, though while they gain popularity amongst the DIY community, I have yet to see anyone run an algae scrubber as their sole means of filtration.
dwezil28
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.14(Sun)10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fern wrote:
Can you give me a better step by step? I will be needing to build my own sump filter for a 240g very soon. I could buy one but I would rather make one.... But I have never used a wet/dry or any kind of sump filter... So I'm pretty clueless.

Step by Step

1) Measure inside diameter of your stand. Plastic storage containers bow out on the sides, so you will have to account for that when you select a container for your sump.
2) Select a drawer configuration. There are a lot of different brands and sizes out there so make sure to pick one that fits in your container and leaves enough room for the intake. Your also want to figure out what filter media your going to put in each drawer.
3) Design your intake. I went with the spray bar option, instead of using the first drawer as a drip plate. This allowed me to use a filter pad in the top drawer without restricting the flow pattern. I siliconed an acrylic sheet on the drawer top to add extra support for the spray bar bulkhead.
4) Drill the drain holes in each drawer. Pattern doesn
dwezil28
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.03.09(Tue)13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddball808 wrote:
most dog bedding is made of recycled bed foam and poly-fill. and depending on the chemical process, the bedding can be harmful.
if you intend to use any such material, be sure it contains no chemicals or perfumes.

however, you can buy huge rolls of poly-fill or quilt batting material in the craft section of most stores and this works great for filtration and water buffing.
as with any fine media, it will need to be changed regularly (due to the amount of waste its removing from your water column), but at $4 for a 6 month supply, I don't think you will be hearing too many complainnts.

not a speck of floating particles to be seen. and the bare bottom is nice and clean. all thanks to a $4 roll of quilt batting from wal-mart.

Thanks for the Tip. I picked up a roll of quilt batting material from Walmart this weekend. Within a couple of hours of adding it to my filter I could tell a difference in clarity. After two days my water has never appeared so clear. All for around $6.00. I will definitely keep some in my filter at all times.
oddball808
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.03.09(Tue)13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

even in my barebottom/overstocked tanks, the water is completely clear. can't beat $6 for months of clear water. Very Happy
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: