Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
'nother classic - watching aquariums causes relaxation
 Forum Index > Aquarium Science  Reply to topic   Post new topic
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.23(Tue)4:49    Post subject: 'nother classic - watching aquariums causes relaxation Reply with quote

Another classic for those who haven't seen it. As if any of us need another excuse to get a(nother) tank!

Quote:
Abstract:
Experimental group members watched a fish aquarium or a fish videotape, while control group members viewed a placebo videotape. Three eight-minute treatment sessions were held one week apart. Members of all three groups perceived their treatments as relaxing. Aquarium observers tended to experience a decrease in pulse rate and muscle tension and an increase in skin temperature. Theoretical and practical implications of the results and ideas for further research are discussed.

Quote:
In summary, there was a trend for aquarium observers to experience a decrease in pulse rate, an increase in skin temperature, and a decrease in muscle tension. In particular, the results of this study indicated that watching a videotape of a live fish aquarium had a greater impact on elderly persons
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.02.23(Tue)5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the reference to where you got that from?

Aquariums, the Ultimate Social Lubricant - catchy indeed Razz

My first aquarium as a teenager was set up in my bedroom and when an uncle saw it he said "I'm on to you...you walk up to girls and say 'want to come over to my bedroom and see my fish?'" Laughing

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.23(Tue)5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, here is the link:

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/berg/anthroz/1990/00000004/00000001/art00006
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.23(Tue)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos - that is awesome. Nice of you to share that little tidbit, haha did it ever work with the girls??

Very cool bit of information. I am a care aide and I haven't worked with the elderly very much, but I do remember going into some residential care facilities and seeing some really poorly set up aquariums, but, with a couple old timers sitting in their wheelchairs staring at the fish Very Happy
 Forum Index > Aquarium Science All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: