Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY CO2 question, where to put output?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
corrado33
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.01(Mon)18:31    Post subject: DIY CO2 question, where to put output? Reply with quote

So I've done some research, and it seem that there are few options on where to put the actual output of the DIY CO2 generators. I've heard that people have connected the output to air stones, to the bottom of UGF tube things, and directly into the input of a power filter. I've also heard people have used check valves and other things that seem too complicated for what they are worth.

Any suggestions? The easiest thing I can think of would be directly into my power filter, or into an air stone that's already in my tank (it's a pretty bubbler now). It's also very big. As in the smallest one on this page. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752196 I have it turned down using a regulator because if not it seriously is a VOLCANO of bubbles. Now it's a very calm trickle of bubbles. I've just afraid that water will leak out of this if I try to use it as my CO2 output.

Again, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.01(Mon)18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I used is just a gallon jug of spring water and then used hot glue with some airline tubing, with a small airstone at the end, just double whatever recipe you are using.

EDIT: I am also using a 50 cent anti-siphon valve and be sure to have the tubing only ONE INCH in the jug.
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.01(Mon)18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
EDIT: I am also using a 50 cent anti-siphon valve and be sure to have the tubing only ONE INCH in the jug.

Want to give me a link to a cheap 50 cent anti-siphon valve? Very Happy Very Happy

EDIT: "w a n n a" is changed to "want to"? Laughing Laughing
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.01(Mon)19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link for the anti-siphon valve, I think they are really one USD instead of 50 cents.
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.01(Mon)20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks!!
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.01(Mon)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest and airstone. This will break up the bubbles and allow better CO2 exchange.
For better results, set this in front of a powerhead so that the bubbles get blown throughout the tank (unless you don't like that appearance of the bubbles).
I would stear clear of putting it in the intake of filters, b/c I'd be afraid to loose the siphon.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: