Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Any SPS keepers out there ?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
allmost
Members

PostPosted: 2009.12.08(Tue)11:10    Post subject: Any SPS keepers out there ? Reply with quote

OK so I am thinking of moving into SPS.
currently I have about 15 pounds of live rock and 20 pounds of live sand in a 20 G tank.
a coralife Skimmer 65 (which just broke in couple mights ago and seems to be working fine)
a HOB refugium (modded aquaclear hob filter) currently empty with a light on it, reverse of the lighting of the main tank
a canister filter with 1100litre/hour which holds carbon and phos remover and a filter pad (not sure what to put in there, still has a lot of empty room)
a 5Watt UV light built in the canister used for max a week when I first set up.
2 x maxijet power heads, each 230 GPH

so total circulation is about 900 GPH which is about 45 times the total volume

right now I have 4 T5 lights on it, 24Watt each, and thinking of getting a MH fixture for 150 Watts, and leave 2 of the T5s on (no more room to keep all 4 and a MH) so total lighting would be 198 Watts
total lighting : about 10 watt per Gallon

now I am keeping anemones and some soft corals (leather finger, plate coral and a flower pot coral) had some algae problems and got rid of them so the tank looks fine with a fine coraline algae growth at the bottom ( I do add calcium daily)

now for those SPS keeprs, how do I transfer my tank to a SPS tank ?

would I need more live rocks ?
would 10x lighting be adequate ?

any advice is appriciated. I have dealth with freshwater fro years, and Salt water for roughly a year and am still learning, but think I have got enough info to start SPS (as all has been test to get to SPS keeping ) lol
20 Gallon SW
2 clown fish
1 blenny
3 anemones
3 coral
allmost
Members

PostPosted: 2009.12.08(Tue)11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to move the tank to my new place this weekend,
I was thinking of adding another 10 pounds of Live rock, but scared it would start a new cycle in my tank and ... (would it ? if I get cured rocks ? )

Also, I have a lot of room in my canister, for keeping SPS, should I put some Biological filter media in there ? (Bio balls or nitrate sponge or .... ? )

also will be setting up the tank with the new MH light (150 Watts) how would I go about doing that so the corals I have right now won't get shocked ?

during the day (for about half an hour) sun is on the tank directly, and at that time I see all corals actually opening bigger, so I guess MH would make them happy and won't shock them, but any advice would help
20 Gallon SW
2 clown fish
1 blenny
3 anemones
3 coral
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.12.09(Wed)20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

allmost wrote:
I have to move the tank to my new place this weekend,
I was thinking of adding another 10 pounds of Live rock, but scared it would start a new cycle in my tank and ... (would it ? if I get cured rocks ? )

It's possible to get a spike from die off related to shipping, especially in a small tank like that. If you are buying from a LFS, that should eliminate that risk.

Quote:
Also, I have a lot of room in my canister, for keeping SPS, should I put some Biological filter media in there ? (Bio balls or nitrate sponge or .... ? )

No, that will only convert organics to more nitrate.
But you might want to use activated carbon from time to time in order to remove some of the noxious chemicals produced by your soft corals; do some research on this, as chemical warfare can sometimes pose a problem when you try and mix softies with SPS in a small tank.

Quote:
also will be setting up the tank with the new MH light (150 Watts) how would I go about doing that so the corals I have right now won't get shocked ?

This will vary depending on the animals, but exposure time is the key; if you are concerned about shock, don't leave the light on as long in the beginning until they adjust. You can increase exposure time slowly over a period of several weeks.

My only suggestion would be to get a larger tank for your main display (maybe 75 gallons or so) and use your 20 gallon for a quarantine system for future purchases including inverts and new corals, which can harbor parasites that can potentially wipe out your expensive SPS collection. Many hobbyists do not realize the importance of quarantine for corals and inverts. More on that here:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/quarinverts.htm
allmost
Members

PostPosted: 2010.01.04(Mon)4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics, I would really appriciate any comments to make it look better, for sure I need to make some changes on the aquascapin of the rocks to add more room. I also have 30 lbs of aragonite sand which I want to use as a DSB, not sure if I should take everything out of tank, put the sand on, then put my live sand on top and then the rocks ? or should I just mix it with the sand I have on right now ?
I also have upgraded the lighting and have 6 T5 bulbs now, although 2 of them are higher than the other, but the 4 unit has some new amazing reflectors which is noticeable.

Anyways, here is a overall view of the tank (25 Gallon)

the Hard corals on top

the tall brown one seems like has 2 parts :S the bottom half is brown, and on one of the branches, there is alittle tissue die off and a coraline algae growing !!! bad I guess ? but then the top looks like its growing like crazy.

Refugium with a deep sand bed and some cheato on top with a light(just set up the sand bed this week so I'm sure not seeded yet as I used dead sand)

th4 cheato seem to be growing a little, but there is always a build up of (calcium? ) a white build up on top. the cheato grows towards the light outsidfe the water which is amazing me and also I usually get some sort of BROWN build up on top. maybe some sort of brown algae ? hope its not cyano again lol

the aquaclear's motor is not used. I have the output of my Coralife super skimmer going into the aquaclear HOB filter/refugium.

hoping the Zoe which fell of would attach to this shell ? not sure if possible ?

and the Acro, which came with 2 crabs !! Very Happy one is a banded crab, other one has a darker color, almost grey, not sure if good or bad ?

anyways, thanks everyone for looking and any comments Smile I need to get some fragging kit, many peices of the zoe are falling off and need to glue them to a rock or something.
also appologies for the camera on Iphone sucking lol, took me half an hour to take these pics and still not even close to good, lol, have to invest in a digital camera soon, but $200 ? that's like 3 corals
haha
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.01.04(Mon)16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello allmost. First of all the images you posted are incrediably large. Could you resize them to a minimum of 640x640 pixels. You say you add calcium daily but do you also dose to maintaini a suitable alkalkinity? Also do you test your calcium and alkalinity levels?

Andrew
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.01.04(Mon)16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree your photos are way too big for the forum, please resize.
Well, I guess you decided on the smaller tank for your sps... that's going to be a challenge, just the evaporation alone can be tricky...

okay personally, I would forget about removing all the animals and adding more substrate; you should have done that before the animals were added. At this point your delicate inverts need a very stable system, appropriate chemistry (watch your calcium, alkalinity, phosphates, etc.) perfect water quality is not an option; you just need to let things settle down and keep a very close eye on your parameters (ammonia, nitrite in particular) and watch out for algae blooms. Also, I assume you know for a fact that the tank cycled properly? This question is critical, as I do wish you the best of success. To that end; I would also suggest returning the Yellow Tang; 25 gallons is really too small for that species, anyway thanks for posting and I hope it works out for you. Here is a link that may help you on those water parameters:
http://www.thereeftank.com/articles/understanding-reef-tank-water-testing-and-parameters/
allmost
Members

PostPosted: 2010.01.05(Tue)2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, sorry for the large pics :S , forgot to resize them.

well I test the water a lot (daily) and here are the parameters :

pH : 8.2-8.3
KH : 9-10 dKH
Calcium : 480
Magnesium : ~1400
Ammonia and nitrite are undetectable
Nitrate raises to about 10 ppm if I miss a water change or not cleant he canister for a week,
Po4 : 0.03 (the cheatos have brought this down a lot)

This tank has been set up for about 6 months now, I went through the cycling at the beggining with live rocks. also have gone through some disastrous Cyano bacteria bloom and hairy algae bloom and have gotten rid of both so the tank is at a good position right now. EXCEPT the nitrates.
I add kalk water for top off once a week, and dose calcium and alkalinity daily. once every 2 weeks, I check the magnesium and dose if needed, but a water change brings it right back up. I find that the kalk has lowered my phosphate a lot.

As of the tank, I really want to mature this tank fully and then start my 65 G to be more confident and ... . after 6 months, the system is finally stabalized and I see growth in the corals.
20 Gallon SW
2 clown fish
1 blenny
3 anemones
3 coral
allmost
Members

PostPosted: 2010.01.05(Tue)2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh and the salinity is at 1.025-1.026 which is kind of a big gap, although I top off the water daily !

the light on the refuge being on 24/7 has actually stabalized the pH at night and day to some degree,

I find it really good that I started with this smaller tank, since now I know a lot of the needs, and are designing my new 65 G system with a lot more knowledge, for example automated dosing and top offs Very Happy
20 Gallon SW
2 clown fish
1 blenny
3 anemones
3 coral
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.01.05(Tue)15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, hope things continue to go well for you.
I think the forum limit on the photos is 800 pixels wide and 800 pixels high, and it's best if you use 72 dpi low resolution. I deleted the big ones to make your thread more user-friendly; if you want to resize your images, feel free to put them back up. Best wishes for your tank.
allmost
Members

PostPosted: 2010.01.26(Tue)15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

soo been a while since I updated this last. the water parameters are prety stable still and great growth in SPS corals. which got me so excited that I started a 65 G reef tank Very Happy

pics of the set up to come soon.
20 Gallon SW
2 clown fish
1 blenny
3 anemones
3 coral
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: