Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Longnose Killifish Ident. + LF Care Tips (pic included)
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
determinator
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.16(Sat)10:39    Post subject: Longnose Killifish Ident. + LF Care Tips (pic included) Reply with quote

A fish I've always wanted to keep but thought I would never be able to get them because of their geo location. I was lucky enough to stumble across these guys in a LFS in TN. The owner said they came in with the ghost shrimp.

ATM they seem to like hiding in my java moss, looking for anyone with experience with these fish.

UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.01.16(Sat)17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seminole killifish Fundulus seminolis I have had as much as 5 at a time, but only have 2 at the moment. These guys are very cool. The begin eating flakes very quickly if other flake/pellet trained fish are around. They will eat frozen bloodworms immediately. They are omnivores, but prefer high protien foods as opposed to veggie-based. High protien foods are best. mine love baby Hikari Gold pellets after they have been softened.

Small ones like that are the size I got mine in the ghost shrimp tanks. The Fundulus are killies that reach fairly large size. My largest is at 4 in and the other 3 in. They can reach 5 in a few years. Mine have decreased growth in the the last 9 months or so.

Though large males can be nasty towards small males if you have females around, I have had no problems with my groups. In fact, mine are very docile and stick together and stay to themselves. Large, fast or aggressive minnows or other fish may cuase them to hide, but if with peaceful fish they will fit in perfectly. I absolutely love mine. Too bad I can't sex them, b/c I would love to breed them this spring.

Good luck with them! You will enjoy him/her.

ADDED: I see that it is laying on the bottom. In time they will begin to explore all areas of the tank, but prefer the middle. Try to get this one eating soon - looks a little thin Smile
determinator
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.17(Sun)10:11    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Don't ever leave because I don't think I would have ever made that ident. Thanks. I know mine are hungry but they are spitting out the flakes so I'll have to get bloodworms.
Also If I could pick your brain for a second. I've got this field guide

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&ISBN=9780375412240&ourl=National-Audubon-Society-Field-Guide-to-Fishes%2FJames-D-Williams&cm_mmc=Google%20Product%20Search-_-Q000000630-_-National%20Audubon%20Society%20Field%20Guide%20to%20Fishes-_-9780375412240

and I was wondering if there is a better one out there because this one doesn't seem to be very complete.

Also, I'm attending school in Chattanooga now, and I know your near there, do you happen to know of any really good LFS's in the area or any creeks. The next native I'm after will probably be the warpaint shiner.
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.01.17(Sun)12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many Seminoles did you end up with?
It's a shame you - I moved in August, but was living in Knoxville for 5 years. I had some great spots there and justa bit south (In Knoxville surrounding areas down to Maryville and east towards GSMNP, but my familiarity of the waters near Chattanooga is very fuzzy. There are some serious hotspots that a few of my friends know about, but won't give them out. But once you brush up on some ID skills, you should check out Chickamauga creek - unreal.

In regards to that book, if you want it, you can get it. I suggest Peterson's Field Guides. People swear by them and they make many guides depending on location. They are small enough to take with you in the field. The only reason I don't have one is because I have have the larger (more towards academia and Icthyology) Fishes of Tennessee by Etnier and Starnes. Way too big to take to the field! haha.

Though warpaints are awesome to watch underwater, they are a bit tough in aquaria. They get big, aggressive and can do some damage. The require very cold and very clean water. You can always try them out in a really cold basement or something.
Here's one from the Little River last spring. He is starting to get tubed up around his jaw.
determinator
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.18(Mon)21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

The store had 3 but I only brought home 2 because one of them was nearly a fry. This weekend we tried out Rainbow Lake just after the damn, but found nothing like we expected. I've never caught anything in the cold months other than warmouth in the weeds before. Where do all the minnows and crayfish go?
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.01.19(Tue)9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha.
I forgot to mention, before heading to the Chickamauga or any Conasauga tributaries for that matter, brush up on ID skills becuase it is home to many protected, threatened and endangered species.

In streams, the minnows tend to find the deepest holes and undercut banks to stay until the water warms. The crays should be very easy (especially young ones). Just looks for leave packs or where detritus and leaves have accumulated on the edge of the bank. Scoop up all the leaves and sort through carefully. You will fund tons of juvi crays that way and even a minnow or two.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.19(Tue)11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could catch wild fish where I live Confused . want to blue gill?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.01.25(Mon)10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can still get your own fish. It's just that the true natives where you are are somewhat limited to Salmonids and the sculpins (Cottus sp). Though there have been introductions like you mentioned of sunfish like bluegill, largemouth bass, etc. Not to mention baitminnows that are available. I'd go check out some baitshops - You'd find some cool finds there -trust me Very Happy
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.25(Mon)11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was in grade 6 (soo... 11 years old?) I was in charge of maintaining a tank full of Salmon fry. We had hatched them from eggs (that we got from the fisheries unit in town), and raised them until they were old enough to release into the local rivers. Lemme tell ya, siphoning a tank with water deep enough to reach your armpit with water no more than 3 degrees C... BRRRR!!!

That's my piece of local fish keeping. I don't think I could find much past trout and dollies and maybe sturgeon, which I doubt would fit in a 200L Very Happy
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: