Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
would brain coral be an OK starter
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nes999
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.07(Fri)1:30    Post subject: would brain coral be an OK starter Reply with quote

one coral I did want off the back was a brain coral. after talking to the reef "expert", and I use that term loosely. we got talking about my 125 gallon set up and he asked me the fish I would like it in and the corals. and I told him I don't want coral for awile but one I do want is a brain coral. I wanted one because I'm a blonde and its ironic a blonde with a big brain. he told me that these are very easy to keep and id be able to keep this soon after the tank was cycled. I was just wondering your guys opinion. also what would be a good starter coral I have a book called the consenious marine aqurist and it doesn't really tell you. thanks

also I don't think it would matter but just in case heres my planned stock list

2 onyx clowns
1 yellow tang
after awhile some anome
varoius reef safe shrimp
maby and I'm very on the wall about this some snails
I'd like 2 regualar colored clowns but I don't think a 125 gallon would be big enough for the 4 clowns

anyother fish that would be nice to add?

is this over stocked?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.08.07(Fri)21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open Brain Corals (Trachyphylliidae) are actually one
of the better choices among stony corals. More on those here:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/trachyphlliidae.htm

I do not really consider any corals to be easy for beginners, but here are some more that require less light and usually get top marks from various authors. Your research will lead to success...

SO-CALLED "EASY" CORALS

1. Mushroom Corals (Actinodiscus)

3. Colt Corals (Cladiella)

3. Star Polyps (Pachyclavularia)

4. Sea Mat and Button Polyps ( Zoanthids, Palythoa, CAUTION: can be toxic to humans)

5. Toadstool and Leather Corals (Sarcophyton)

6. Finger Corals (Alcyonium)

Generally speaking, soft corals are going to be the best choice for you at first. Here are a few articles to get you started, Scott Michael does a good job here of outlining the pros and cons associated with both softies and stony corals:
http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquariumfish/detail.aspx?aid=1894&cid=3790&search=

And please do read my comments on livestock here:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17688
nes999
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.07(Fri)23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read your post on livestock before and I forgot that tangs were on it ill just put that fish in the "id like to get someday" catagory

and I really do aprecaite you adding those links in and with tanking the time to list out those corals gives me something to go research about. I just want to have a complete list of my live stock before I go in so I'm not tempted to get the oh so cute (enter fish here).
nes999
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.15(Sat)22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

would berghia nudibranchs be safe to add to the stocking list if I ever got aiptisa
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.08.16(Sun)8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, the Berghia will eat the aiptasia anemones, however after the aiptasia are all gone the Berghia will starve to death. So I'm not sure we can promote the exploitation of a marine species for this type of use.

The top natural solution of most aquarists for eating aiptasia anemones is the "TRUE" Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni)
ocreef
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.12.15(Tue)20:54    Post subject: Brain Corals for the Beginner Reply with quote

You could try maybe a Brain Coral, Lobophyllia (Lobophyllia hemprichii) and/or Brain Worm Platygyra Coral (Platygyra sp.). They are fairly easy to maintain in the reef aquarium, making them excellent choices for the beginner reef aquarist.

Regarding caring for them... provide plenty of spacing between them and other neighboring corals. They do host symbiotic algae zooxanthellae within their bodies through photosynthesis, so they will require moderate to strong lighting combined with moderate water movement. They will also require the addition of trace elements like calcium.

Feed them various micro-plankton's, brine shrimp, or even live copepods, amphipods fed where its tentacles are visible.
paulfinn31
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.01.14(Thu)14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like anemone for my salt water tank. Especially if I have clown fish in it. It's like Finding Nemo.hehehe Very Happy
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.01.14(Thu)15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see my comments on anemones here:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17688
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: