Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Black rubber hose?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.31(Thu)11:21    Post subject: Black rubber hose? Reply with quote

I asked my dad to pick me up a piece of PVC pipe last night when he went to work at Home Depot to cover my filter intake to slow the current for my Betta I will most likely be getting today. Any ways what he got my was some rubber hose that does what it needs to fit on the filter intake. This did not slow the current though so I covered the sides of the actual intake with plastic food wrap. The flow was slowed significantly but was still too strong. So I took a small extra piece of wrap and covered half of the bottom of the intake. The flow is to a minimal but I want to know if the wrap will hold up and if this is going to burn out my motor on my filter? Just to make things clear the only part of the filter intake showing is half of the bottom of the intake tube.
Bruiser
Members

PostPosted: 2009.12.31(Thu)12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of filter do you have?
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.31(Thu)12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone out here in forum-land put a sponge around his filter intake... it was a photo journal somwhere.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.31(Thu)12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it is an Aqua-Tech 2-15 filter that came with my 5 gallon tank my parents got me for Christmas at Wal-mart. And Katienaha I saw that it was in a shrimp tank journalmaybe in the 6 gallon tank journal I saw that but it was to prevent the babie shrimp from getting sucked up.
Bruiser
Members

PostPosted: 2009.12.31(Thu)12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I have an idea for you.. I don't know if it'll strain the motor in the filter or not.. I don't think so, as long as its not starving for water and running dry.. but you'd be better asking someone else that one..

Try and stay with me here....

measure the diameter of your intake tube. hopefully its something common.. go to canadian tire or home depot, and get 1 pcv "T" fitting and 2 end caps (the right, or closest size to your intake.) and some aquarium safe silicone.

Silicone and cap both ends of the "t" leaving the bottom hole in it open. drill a few small holes throughout the "t"..(not too many, its easier to add more than plug too many..) fasten the "t" to your intake, and fire it up..

I don't know how this is going to work, I've never done it, just an idea.. I don't see what it could hurt, just make sure you let the silicone cure for at least 48 hours before yah put it in the tank!

Hope that helpful.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.31(Thu)13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay well instead of doing the T shape I was going to just buy an attachment so to speak made of PVC and puta few holes in it and cap it. it takes up less space that way but I will only do that if this current one does not work. and no it is not sucking up air.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.12.31(Thu)13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't try and slow the flow as you can damage the motor.

You can wrap a piece of pantyhose over the intake and fix it with a rubber band. This is safe for shrimp.

The current can be baffled by putting something under the outflow.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.31(Thu)13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I don't have shrimp but what could I pt intfornt of where ever to slow my outtake???
BarebackDreamer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.31(Thu)15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do is cut a rectangle of that plastic grid stuff and tape it to the lid so the water has to come in contact with it. Or cut open a pop bottle and put it up like a baffle. People do that with their betta tanks.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.31(Thu)16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

59FIFTY wrote:
Katienaha I saw that it was in a shrimp tank journalmaybe in the 6 gallon tank journal I saw that but it was to prevent the babie shrimp from getting sucked up.

No, it was Ridge 95's 29g Journal. It's called a pre-filter and is for his amano shrimp, and also helps with biological filtration.

29 G
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: