Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Local Fish Store or Petsmart?
 Forum Index > Ads and Links  Reply to topic   Post new topic
SpudBerry
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.12.30(Wed)12:09    Post subject: Local Fish Store or Petsmart? Reply with quote

This fish tank is supposedly for my 10 year old son - the last time we had a pet type project it was for the same son. We went to Petsmart and got all the stuff you need for a hamster and then purchased the hamster. We went through 2 hamsters that each died within a week. We then went to a little local pet shop and got Jo the 4th and he/she lived a normal 3 years. So I'm a little concerned to go back there and get anything from their fish tanks. On the other hand - there is only one other little fish shop in town and I know nothing about them. Are there any things to look for when seeing if a place runs a healthy shop? Comparing return or guarantee policies won't mean much as I already know that Petsmart has a great policy - I just wish we didn't have to use it so much with the rodent.
Maestro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.30(Wed)12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally in my experience, pet stores that specialize in aquariums sell the healthier fish. However, I buy most of my basic supplies from large chain pet stores because the prices are much better for the same product. But buying a healthy fish is much better than a potentially weak one, so I would check out that fish shop.

The ways I can tell if the store is good, is if they have a wide variety of fish/plants/corals etc., if they have a knowledgeable staff, the water in their aquariums are clean, and if the vast majority of their stock appear healthy.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.30(Wed)21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Petsmart to be expensive. I do buy a lot of my fish there, even though they're not kept well. Check out the LFS.

29 G
 Forum Index > Ads and Links All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: