Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Yellow tang and Starfish (pics)
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
allmost
Members

PostPosted: 2009.11.23(Mon)10:07    Post subject: Yellow tang and Starfish (pics) Reply with quote

Hello all,

so I have a 20 G reef, 2 clown, 1 blenny, 3 hermit crabs and 3 turbo nails, a sand siffting starfish (which I got to clean up the layer of algae on top of my live sand and return before it has a chance to kill my sand bed) and a blue starfish. I have noticed many crabs going on top of the starfish and climing it, but don't see any damage, so just wanted to confirm with someone they are same and compatible.

on friday, I bought a yellow tang !, I know risky, so I turned on my UV light, and placed him in the tank, he was shy at first, then started swiming around with my black clownfish, around his anemone. 2 days later (last night) I noticed a Red spot my her mouth, which I doubt is bacterial infection, and think it would be a bite mark from the black clownfish, but not sure !(how to tell? )

so I just went to sleep, this morning, there is NOO sign of him !!!!

I looked through the tank for an hour and no sign !!! then I figured he might have jumped out and nothing around the tank !!

any opinions on that happened to it ? I really like these guys, but need to investigate the reason fro death or whether it was a murder case before getting another, lol
I havent double checked as I'm at work and worried, but will do another check tonight and might move rocks around to see if I find him!!!

my only CSI explanation so far has been that the clown killed it and it got eaten by my BIG carpet anemone!
could not have been the crabs eating it, since I don't think 7 hours is enough time to eat up a whole tang by 3 crabs ! any CSI Ideas, or opinions are appreciated, I will post some pics of my tank now, any other Ideas are greatly appreciated.
20 Gallon SW
2 clown fish
1 blenny
3 anemones
3 coral
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2009.11.23(Mon)18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get another tang. They require lots of swimming room, far more than a 20 gallon can provide. It's possible that the fish was killed considering that there isn't much territory to establish in a tank that size and the clowns most likely took over the entire tank.

It's also possible that it suffered from ich or another disease that you just weren't aware of and that it succumbed to that.

Please do the appropriate research before purchasing anything else. Don't risk another tang or any other fish for that matter in that tank. You have your maximum amount of fish already.
allmost
Members

PostPosted: 2009.11.24(Tue)9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike612 wrote:
Don't get another tang. They require lots of swimming room, far more than a 20 gallon can provide. It's possible that the fish was killed considering that there isn't much territory to establish in a tank that size and the clowns most likely took over the entire tank.

It's also possible that it suffered from ich or another disease that you just weren't aware of and that it succumbed to that.

Please do the appropriate research before purchasing anything else. Don't risk another tang or any other fish for that matter in that tank. You have your maximum amount of fish already.

well .. a fish dead from ich disintegrates within hours ? I doubt that

also, I have done enough research, and I bought it at the smallest size u could think of, and was planing to keep it for a year, until he grows too big ...
still wondering what has happened to its body !

probably the anemone
20 Gallon SW
2 clown fish
1 blenny
3 anemones
3 coral
allmost
Members

PostPosted: 2009.11.25(Wed)14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

so any Ideas ?

would an anmeone eat a small tang ?

as we all know fish don't pop to full size over night, so swiming room is not a question.

I have been keeping rays for years now and as many think, a ray can not be kept in a 65G, but I Get them raise them till they grow fully and then sell them for 2-3 other ones
20 Gallon SW
2 clown fish
1 blenny
3 anemones
3 coral
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.11.25(Wed)21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'd be surprised how quickly a body can disappear in a marine tank. It really depends on what detrivores and scavengers are in the tank. The crabs would have helped rip apart the body. The anemone could have also eaten it or part of it. Honestly chances are you'll never know what happend to it.

I have to admit I'm a bit worried about you having starfish in such a small tank. Most species have specalised diets that cannot be satisified from such a small amount of live rock. I don't exactly see how the sand sifting star fish will kill your sand bed. If anything your sandbed and its small size would kill it due to a lack of food.

Also I completely agree with everything Mike said. Even if you got a very small animal you're tank is still what I would consider fully stocked.

Andrew
BarebackDreamer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.28(Sat)12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on levels in your tank. There's always the chance that the tang's body got trapped in some rock or pulled in by the crabs.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: