Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
christmas tree worms and red coris wrasse
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jesshill71
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.11.15(Sun)18:57    Post subject: christmas tree worms and red coris wrasse Reply with quote

I just bought a colony of christmas tree worms. I did not consider what my other fish will act around the worms.
I have a red coris wrasse that seems very interested in the worms. Are the worms in danger or can the worms and coris wrasse CO2 exsist? Question Question
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.11.15(Sun)22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are, your fancy tube worms are going to end up a snack for that invert-chomping Coris. I would remove them (or Mr. Coris) immediately. Coris wrasses get big and they are not really considered reef or invertebrate safe.

See more below from my archives...

Coris Wrasse
I love these wrasses but be prepared. Coris gaimard grows into a rowdy beast, these fish will reach 12 inches plus in the wild and can easily move your rocks around like chess pieces and flip your lovely corals like pancakes. As a diver, I have watched big wrasses in the wild, they flip rocks and look under them for small crustaceans all day long---it's how they make a living.

They are not really known as "coral eaters" but they might munch on tunicates and sessile inverts like feather duster worms just for fun. They WILL wreak havoc on the average cleanup crew---hermits, snails, shrimps will all be hunted down and enjoyed like popcorn...

Larger specimens need a 100 gallon or larger tank with a soft SAND bottom, they require sand to burrow at night, or if frightened. Avoid crushed coral or similar "rough" substrate as their survival rate goes down on such substrates and they will tear up their nose/mouth when they dive into the substrate at night. The tiny juveniles (1.5--3 inches) are delicate and not for beginners, see my warning on small wrasses here:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17688

Also more on Coris gaimard here:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/wrasses/coris/gaimard.htm

Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: