Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Nano Salty
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MCHRKiller
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.14(Wed)23:36    Post subject: Nano Salty Reply with quote

I've swore I wouldnt do it...but I find myself creeping down the road to another marine tank. I'm thinking either a FOWLR or a really easy reef. I think Ill use a 5.5G tank...paint the tank back black and have some Estes black marine sand. I was planning on around 8lbs of Figi live rock, a 100GPH powerfilter, and a 20watt 50/50 screw in compact flo bulb. Now armed with that info...what can you guys tell me. Could any corals make it under just 20watt? I may just grow out a baby Percula for my LFS or something for stock...or I may go with just inverts. Id like to get 3-4 Bumble bee snails and 2-3 pepermint shrimp. If I did corals Id just get some polyps and mushrooms....If not I could see myself making a marine "planted" tank. If I went that route Id include Halimeda, some Turtle grass and Brush plants.

Any thoughts or comments?
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.23(Fri)6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pico-Reefs are known for their instability and are something even seasoned reefers try to avoid.
If you miss daily water top-up the systems salinity will shoot high and the rest.
If you top-up a lot at once (this happens only if you miss a day or two) the corals and inverts will react to it (retract their polyps and shrimps might even die)
Temperature is another killer beast in Pico-Reefs. Keep a close eye to avoid temp swings.

I can advise water change twice a week 10%.

The smaller the tank the more job you get.

I would strongly advice against big shrimps like the Peppermint. If it has to be a shrimp than 2-3 Sexy Shrimp would be a better choice.

Zoas and Mushrooms should do well with 20 watts but keep stable water chemistry (this is the catch)

No fish in Pico-Reefs IMO (NOTE! some go with 1 Gobiodon okinawae).
Small snails will do OK.
Macro algae like Halimeda needs good Ca levels and will certainly not do well if PO4 and NO3 are high. Of course you should test for your self and see how it goes.

Your pico would do better with a Fuge

This can help - Pico Reefs

Use this for research about Pico Reefs

Regards, Dusko
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.04.19(Sun)22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fuge idea! I've been trying to come up with an idea like that. Obviuosly, that person can think outside of the box better than I can. I think I will have to try that.

29 Gallon Reef Tank: 1 Black Percula, 1 TR Percula, 1 Yellow Watchmen & Pistol Shrimp, 1 Six-line Wrasse, 1 Cleaner Shrimp
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.04.20(Mon)6:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add onto that, you may need to top-off water more than once a day. I used to do it manually once a day on my nano and felt it might have been swinging the salinity a little too much - of course this depends on how much evaporation you get out of the tank. I eventually gave up and bought a Tunze Osmolator.

You may think that the tank is 5.5 gal, but once you add in the live rock you may find the water volume is reduced to only ~3 gal which is really not very much.

I don't think we get bumblebee snails here, but bumped into this interesting description in an article a few days ago:
Quote:
Bumble Bee Snails (Engina mendicaria)
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.11.13(Fri)9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

allan101 wrote:
Hi Friends,
I'm going to do one or the other this coming week. or at least start on the project (buy the nano if I am going to do that)..but what to do? I am really pondering this one!
Any suggestions?

See "Myth No. 1" regarding my my suggestion on tank size here:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=24970
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: