Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Buying in the US and shipping home
 Forum Index > Ads and Links  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.19(Mon)18:14    Post subject: Buying in the US and shipping home Reply with quote

In a month I am going to Las Vegas. (It's my first time to Vegas and my first time outside Canada since the mid 90s.) The Canadian dollar is pretty good at the moment and hopefully will still be strong next month.

For a while now I have wanted to buy an Eheim 2217 for my 55g tank. Here at home they are $200 new and pretty rare to find used (not sure I want to risk buying used anyway).

I have wondered if it could be worth it to buy the filter in Vegas and ship it home via FedEx or UPS. I know that certain kinds of items are often waaaaay cheaper in the US (even after dollar conversion) but I don't know if Eheims fall into that category. Also, I really have no idea about things like border duty and whatnot. What do these filters retail for in the states? After shipping fees and duty would it be about the same as buying it at home?

All help appreciated. : )
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.19(Mon)19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

These sell for about 150 us dollars. I don't know if many shops will ship out of the country, but if so, they may have discounts on expensive orders. It would probably be easier to just pick it up and take it home, if border control will let you... Confused

29 G
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.20(Tue)12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see an issue with shipping it to yourself. It doesn't have anything the post office or fedex doesn't allow. That may be easiest. And I have seen it for along $150 USD
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.10.20(Tue)15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also recommend bringing the filter with you on person across the border. Less hassles with shipping, etc.

I would strongly recommend against using FedEx and UPS. In addition to having customs holding the package (likely), they will also charge you GST and PST, and then also slap on a 5 CAD Canada Post handling fee. On top of all this, UPS/FedEx will also charge you a brokerage fee (~30 USD).

If you are intent on mailing it, I would use normal USPS instead of Courier services. That way, you will only be hit with the GST, PST and handling fee (unless you use some less "legitimate" methods, of which I am neither suggesting nor discouraging...)
thatcichlidguy
Members

PostPosted: 2009.10.20(Tue)16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the USPS would be a cheaper alternative to Fedex or UPS. I've shipped overseas with the USPS and it's very simple and cheap .
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.20(Tue)22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh... If the filters are about $150, then after postage and duty it'll be about the same so it sounds like I ought to just buy it at home. : )

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.22(Thu)15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shai wrote:
Eh... If the filters are about $150, then after postage and duty it'll be about the same so it sounds like I ought to just buy it at home. : )

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Can you find an ebay seller that will ship to Canada?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.22(Thu)17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't go anywhere near eBay. : )
 Forum Index > Ads and Links All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: