Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
goldfish eating Turtle food?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Classic
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)11:41    Post subject: goldfish eating Turtle food? Reply with quote

I have a backyard pond full of goldfish, koi, lake carp, Red eared Slider turtles, White Clouds, Crayfish and those sucker carp you can catch in the rivers. I have a small wire fence around the pond to keep the turtles and crayfish in and when I feed the turtles their pellets (which contain Alfalfa and ground Mealworm) the goldfish and koi also indulge on it.

Is this healthy for them? they enjoy eating live plants and insects, but I'm not sure if the alfalfa is safe for them.
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.09.23(Wed)19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

All pet food is essentially the same except for flavor attractants so Carp being primarily carb eaters the various foods are fine. A lot of Koi folk will throw in Watermelon and Cheerios for food epecially late season snacks. When feeding pond critters or lots of tanks; cost becomes a factor so diet can be a consideration.
greenveganne
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.10.20(Tue)12:39    Post subject: Goldfish eating turtle food. Reply with quote

Hello!

I have 2 RESs and 3 goldfish living in a 55 gallon tank right now. The turtles don't especially love their veggies so I feed them pellets also. The goldfish like turtle food, and the turtles like goldfish food. I always read labels when buying anything (especially since I'm vegan) and there aren't many differences (especially rodent foods). Hopefully, this means that they can all eat each other's food. Even the "color enhancement" and "non-clouding water" foods are pretty close.

Hope this helps!
Smile Anne
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.10.20(Tue)13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all pet foods are the same especially the higher priced stuff but primarily we feed pet foods just like people food because it's inexpensive and is good for return business.

I once had a Cat and Dog that preferred each others food. Cats are primarily meat eaters while Dogs are omnivores, like us, so Dogs eating Cat food is not good for the long haul.

Corn and wheat derivatives are inexpensive due to the way they can be harvested so we are fed primarily those things that are cheapest and we feed our animals the same way.

I do not know about rodent food and turtle food can be an exception so my advice is to take a look at the ingredients. Remember the major ingredients are listed first and try to ignore water and the various Chemicals that are added to color and prevent spoilage. My apologies if I am "preaching to the Choir" but it is amazing how little we question basic things about our life and simply take for granted that the Government or some other entity is watching out for us and the Critters that we care about.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: