Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dusko's 180 lit. Juwel-Reef
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.08.06(Thu)4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few close ups:

Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.06(Thu)13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.08.06(Thu)16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusko those are great shots,
hey just curious, may I ask have you considered doing something to conceal the equipment/tubes in the corners? ... I guess this is always one of my pet peeves with many displays, but that's just me. Maybe adding a little more rock in the corners or epoxy some live rock to the tubes or something. Ahh, who cares
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.08.07(Fri)0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
may I ask have you considered doing something to conceal the equipment/tubes in the corners?

Hi FloridaBoy Very Happy

of course you may ask my friend!
To be honest I started this tank for one reason and that was to get to know the Marine system a bit better. This is my testing reef tank.

What happened is next;
The guy working with me at the Zoo Shop was responsible over the Marine part and I was responsible over the Fresh-water one.
Until all our Acroporas died suddenly none of us in the shop knew that this guy didn't have a clue about reef chemistry.

I tested water (which was his job) in the sps/lps tank and the KH was 5, Ca 300, Mg was 900 Shocked He dosed Kalkwasser manually to the sps tank via the sump but still no dropping, etc ...
He apparently only ever tested for NO3, PO4 and Ca.
He tried to rise Ca levels with Kalkwasser just to realise that Ca levels remained the same Rolling Eyes

I took responsibility onto my self and researched a bit more and immediately found the relation between Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity Smile

Once Mg levels are so low one can not rise KH nor Ca. So I fixed the Mg levels first and after that I started uping up the Ca (with Calcium Chloride) and KH.

After this experience I decided to keep an eye on him and I started this 180 litres reef for a sake of learning more about reef products, dosing, testing, observing, algae issues, etc ...

My plan is to keep this tank for a bit longer and then sell it. My next marine should be the Red Sea Max 250. I like the look of it Cool

Even in planted aquariums it is the same, ... one first learns how to keep the plants happy without algae issues and after that one starts to focus more into the art of aquascaping. I am getting there ... soon Very Happy

Kind regards, Dusko
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.07(Fri)1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow amazing tank can't wait to see more of it. my 125 gallons going slow but I like taking my tanks slowly I learn more that way. I'm just amazed at the look of oyur tank before you said this was your test tank I thought you had many other tanks. *chuckles* and I though what I was going to do was difficult.
Funky Fish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.19(Mon)11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dusko,

Quick question, I always find that the substrate is source for nitrates unless kept well. So how do you go about keeping it from becoming toxic if you are not doing water changes. Do you just stir up the bed every week or so, stopping the possible toxic pockets of air forming and general debris sediments suspended until removed or do you have some critters keeping it turned regularly. I am curious!
Also does the water keep is buffering pH abilities without new water being added?

(It's fantastic by the way!)
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.10.19(Mon)13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So how do you go about keeping it from becoming toxic if you are not doing water changes.

Hi there! I keep a few Nasarius snails and I do stir it every now and then. Water changes are not that necessary if you dose Ca, Mg, Bicarbonates and other traces on regular bases.
Tropic Marine Bio-Calcium is a very easy and ready made Balling Method adding the whole package (can raise the salinity slightly but that can be corrected easily)

Quote:

I always find that the substrate is source for nitrates unless kept well

Some NO3 is very welcome in my Soft coral reef tank Very Happy
I do not experience much NO3 nor PO4 because I dose products which contain Carbon source (Salifert All in One contains Calcium acetate and Tropic Marine Bio-Calcium has a Carbon source)

If you have NO3/PO4 problem try the Vodka dosing method;
http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=283967

Quote:
Also does the water keep is buffering pH abilities without new water being added?

Of course not Smile Bicarbonates get used up very fast so often dosing is required. I dose one teaspoon of bicarbonates every second day with the top-off water.

Today's photo ! sorry for photo quality;

Regards, Dusko
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.20(Tue)12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow talk about backing up a point! That looks excellent!

Needless to say that Tropic Marine Bio-Calcium is going on the shopping list. OK so using it in conjunction with the 'All in One' is definitely my next step.

OK well my curiosity has been satisfied!
I'm reading more and more about Ca,Mg,Bicarbonates, certainly getting clearer .

Thank you!
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to: