Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
SICK FISH? This Info Must be Included When Posting for Help!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.14(Tue)22:28    Post subject: SICK FISH? This Info Must be Included When Posting for Help! Reply with quote

To properly receive assistance in the diagnosis and treatment of sick fish, especially where time matters, it is IMPERATIVE that your first post includes all of the following information. Requests for help that do not include this information may be redirected to this sticky.

1.) Please describe the symptoms in as much detail as possible, because we cannot see your fish or your tank. Include a photo if possible (optional).

2.) Tank size (including dimensions like length, width) and how long it's been set up. Filtration type, gravel depth and type, decor. Do you have live plants?

3.) Temperature and all other water parameters you can measure. If you do not have testing supplies, take a 1/2 cup sample of your aquarium water to the local fish store and ask them to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH and KH. Please record the numerical values for each test rather than a general comment such as 'water is fine' or 'all water parameters tested okay' or something like that.

4.) Water Change schedule and volume. Water conditioners/additives. Water source (RO? DI? Tap?)

5.) Tank Mates (full population list).

6.) Anything noteworthy or changed within the past month.

7.) Food type, amount, frequency.

Thanks for your cooperation! This information will greatly assist us in helping you.
Jon_The_Newb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.14(Tue)23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'm not out of line here, but if you feel the issue is very urgent and you want/need an answer right away, it might be a good idea to call and or visit your local fish store as well. If the people there don't seem very helpfull, grab a fish medication off the shelf and read the packaging. Some of them, Mardel, for example, also have nice little folded guides inside the box (for the boxed ones). You can ask if you can open it up to look at it. The one I'm thinking of has a simple flow chart to help direct you to a Mardel product that may help your fish.

Other options of course are using google to search for the basics of what you see "white spot on fish" "red spot on fish" "fungus on fish".

Jon
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.22(Wed)0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damian, I've made a few adjustments to your post above, please check and see if you agree.

To make proper use of this Diseases forum and effectively tap the collective knowledge of those who can help, people really need to realize that posting topics like "My little red fish has this wierd white thing on it, what should I do???" is a total waste of time and effort both for them and for those who want to help...and ultimately it's the poor fish that'll pay for the owner's unwillingness to give out more info here...

It is also crucial to realize that posting a request for help here does not in any way exempt you from the responsibility of finding a solution to your problem.

While you wait for someone to offer help (which can take hours, days or more) you MUST continue your own investigation, through sources such as:

1) The Illustrated Diseases FAQ here in this forum;

2) The Aquarium Fish Diseases Articles in the Articles section of the site.

3) A Google search for Aquarium Fish Diseases or more specific keywords related to your problem.

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.25(Mon)9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little comment/suggestion: If you don't have testing supplies or aren't able to immediately get to your LFS and have your water tested, please don't guess or post inaccurate numbers. I've seen a lot of posts that list pH as being 7.0 (which coincidentally is advertised as being the "perfect" pH for many fish), and ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates all as being zero, which is immediately suspect because nitrate levels are rarely zero. It is much better simply to state "I have no way of testing my water" and then perhaps someone will be able to direct you to a place where you can get your water tested or find testing supplies. Wink

Additionally, if you can't post your water parameters right away, it's even more important that you include in your post approximately when your tank was set up and when fish were added.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
sherisharer
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.25(Mon)8:47    Post subject: HELP Reply with quote

I need help with my bubble eye goldfish. I had a fish die which I though it looked like it had ick. So I purchased some ick away and now my bubble eye goldfish has red sores underneath its mouth, hangs out at the top of the tank, looks like it has red streaks thourgh its fins and tail. First it started to have white strands peeling off his tail then the red blots started to form. It's getting worse and I don't know what to do. Please can anyone help me!!!!!!!
Quitty_Quat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.25(Mon)10:40    Post subject: Re: HELP Reply with quote

sherisharer wrote:
I need help with my bubble eye goldfish. I had a fish die which I though it looked like it had ick. So I purchased some ick away and now my bubble eye goldfish has red sores underneath its mouth, hangs out at the top of the tank, looks like it has red streaks thourgh its fins and tail. First it started to have white strands peeling off his tail then the red blots started to form. It's getting worse and I don't know what to do. Please can anyone help me!!!!!!!
Please post the information asked for at the top of this stickie in a thread in the disease and disasters forum, rather than in this stickie.
There's not a whole lot any one can do until you've posted info like the water params.
Good luck
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.09(Thu)13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so yall know The illustrated guide to diseases and FAQ is no longer illustrated. Someone may want to fix that.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

This needs to be added into the guideline for this forum
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: