Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Basic cycle question
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Site Issues  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Post new topic
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augie(nyc) wrote:
I tried to be civil but the insults kept coming. The problem with forums is too many people THINK they are experts.
The question posted was NOT an invitation to debate what constitutes an overstocked tank.

I think everyone has been civil thus far.

What constitutes an expert? Is it the amount of time that they have kept fish? What if a person has kept fish for 30 years, but can only keep each fish alive for 1 year at most? Does this constitute them as an expert, despite their fish having drastically shortened lifespans when compared with their expected lifespan?

What if that person refuses to change their habits and their way of thinking despite new evidence that has arisen that shows the old methods were incorrect? Does this make them an expert?

I think everyone has commented regarding the stocking of your tank based out of concern.

Augie(nyc) wrote:
Darkblade...we're all impressed that you've had tetras for 9 yrs.Do you prepare each meal yourself & wipe each tetras' a** every time they dump?

I've had tetras for only 6 years; Clown Loaches for 9 Wink

But to answer your question, no, I don't prepare their meals myself. I use commercially available products, but vary it up to keep everything balanced and also to provide the fish with everything they might need in terms of nutrients.

As for the tetras, no, I let them defecate straight into the water Wink I just clean it up during water change times.

Augie(nyc) wrote:
If I buy a fish & he lives happy for over a yr THAT'S OK WITH ME.
I do not have a fish funeral every time one dies.I would be bored with the same fish in my tank for that long.I keep a blue cray fish in my 30g,
last month I had 7 cherry barbs,now I have 6 .THAT'S A NATURAL TANK

The lifespan of fish should not be measured in months, but in years (more than one, note the plurality).

Augie(nyc) wrote:
THE ORIGINAL QUESTION REMAINS EXPERTS.
WHERE IS THE AMMONIA IN THIS "OVERSTOCKED"TANK.
3WKS/0 AMMONIA/0 NITRITE.
BE CAREFULL IF YOU RESPOND(probably better if you don't respond)

No need to use all capitals. I am sure not everyone here believes themselves to be experts. I am experienced, but I would in no way say I am an expert when compared to (say) Diana Walstad, Karen Randall, Takashi Amano, etc.

As to answer your question, the ammonia level were likely ablated by the fact that you transferred some of the mulm from your already established aquarium to this one.

Also, with your last statement, I am unsure whether or not you want a response at all.
drakedeming
Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)6:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooner or later it will crash and all those fishies will die.

Also if you get bored of your tank in a year then maybe you should not have tanks.
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I buy a fish & he lives happy for over a yr THAT'S OK WITH ME.

Then you have come to the wrong site for advice.

Quote:
WHERE IS THE AMMONIA IN THIS "OVERSTOCKED"TANK.

When your tank crashes you will know where the ammonia is. Could be a day, could be a month but it will.

Your apathetic attitude is an aquarium store owner's dream come true.
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since this thread is no longer in the spirit of the forum (mature), it is now locked.
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: