Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Freshwater vs Saltwater - pro's and con's
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Shad0w
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.02(Wed)10:32    Post subject: Freshwater vs Saltwater - pro's and con's Reply with quote

I'm just about to set up my first tank (60L - approx 15 american gallons)

I've got all the kit for a tropical set up but I've just noticed some pictures of saltwater tanks and with the coral and fish & I think they look awesome, so now I'm not sure which way to go, Salt or Fresh (tropical).

All my substantial amount of read thus far has been about tropical freshwater so I know exactly what's required there but not so sure about Saltwater.

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but I was hoping to get my head around a sort of list of pro's and con's.

So I would greatly appreciate any help you salty folk can provide with such a list Very Happy
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.02(Wed)11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a tank that size, you'll need to go freshwater. Nano (small) saltwater tanks are possible, but usually only attempted by experienced saltwater keepers.

The biggest deterrant to saltwater for me was the rather high setup costs, but I'd imagine this could lower if you looked for secondhand equipment. The first thing you would need is a much larger tank. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
nes999
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.02(Wed)15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

*note* I don't own any sw tanks yet I do work at a petstore and have done much research on this subject as to I'm setting up a 125 gallon

first do as much research as possible . I started a year ago. a book I would highly recomment is the conscientious marine aquarist.

also in sw the bigger the tank the easiyer it is to keep. also think ahead of what you want to keep if its FW then strong lights arent need but if you want to keep some corals then good lighting is a must

I could go in great detail but surf the net buy a few books go on other SW fourms before you go into it.

also if possible sell your 15 gall and get something bigger for fw I have many fw tanks and it will make your life so much easier
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: