Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY background in fresh water
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
macika
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.19(Sun)20:41    Post subject: DIY background in fresh water Reply with quote

Hello,

I just want to know who do I have to make DIY background of styrofoam in my malawi cichlid tank. What materials do I have to get? I wanted to make it like a real rock background. I don't want to poison my fish. Wich would be cheaper? DIY background made from styrofoam, wich is much lighter or the live rocks (wich is more heavier)? I do not know anything about DIY backgrounds... please tell me step by step and what materials I have to use wich is SAFE?! How many days does it need to get dry? I've just read some articles and they don't say what kind of dye I have to use and how? I know I need styrofoam, epoxy resin with hardener and later mixed together. What about the dye? What dye I have to use?? And how? How do I have to shape the styrofoam? When I'll be done I'll post pictures of it in my new tank. Hopefully it'll be nice.
nismo
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.07.28(Tue)12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same situation. I just came into possession of a 40g tank and wanted to setup it up with a styrofoam rockscape also. I am researching and will try to keep you posted on my findings,
Good luck!
Ryan
Greenthumb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.11(Tue)18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made one of these for my 10g beta tank a while ago. Many lesson's were learned in the process including:

Don't do it in a 10g, these are much easier for a large tank.
It will take up a large proportion of the water column so be prepared to lose that space
Don't attempt to make this without a proper garage to work in as it is VERY messy and will stain wood and carpet.
It will be difficult to fit filters, heaters and other hang on the back equipment. Don't expect to fit these behind the wall without a VERY large tank, maybe 125g.

You'll need lots of styrofoam and also Quikrete concrete (check your local hardware store). This is a powder that you add water to and it turns to concrete. You can get some various dye's to add to the concrete while its wet. Quikcrete makes these. I used 2 different red rock tones, and black for highlights.

Check out this for instructions and keep in mind this is a 190g tank.
http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-decoration/17.asp
macika
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.12(Wed)6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenthumb wrote:
I made one of these for my 10g beta tank a while ago. Many lesson's were learned in the process including:

Don't do it in a 10g, these are much easier for a large tank.
It will take up a large proportion of the water column so be prepared to lose that space
Don't attempt to make this without a proper garage to work in as it is VERY messy and will stain wood and carpet.
It will be difficult to fit filters, heaters and other hang on the back equipment. Don't expect to fit these behind the wall without a VERY large tank, maybe 125g.

You'll need lots of styrofoam and also Quikrete concrete (check your local hardware store). This is a powder that you add water to and it turns to concrete. You can get some various dye's to add to the concrete while its wet. Quikcrete makes these. I used 2 different red rock tones, and black for highlights.

I'll do it in a 200 G tank
tonergirl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.12(Wed)6:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Oh my...that is MESSY...lol... but the finished product is phenominal!! That looks mucho sharp and well wth the effort, if you've got an xtra large tank to work in. Great article greenthumb!! Very Happy
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: