Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Goldfish Substrate: What to Use!
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)16:39    Post subject: Goldfish Substrate: What to Use! Reply with quote

Which is the best gravel to use for goldfish? Because I know that goldfish can choke on the gravel, I was wondering - is it best to get tiny gravel (sand) or big stones for gravel. Some places say sand, but what do you think? Confused
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is possible, it is rare that a goldfish gets a piece of gravel stuck in their mouth.

I'd stay away from sand, as that can get trapped in their gills, and would be very messy to deal with when vacuuming. A fine-sized, smooth substrate (no epoxy coating) up to 1/4" in thickness should suffice.
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll try to find something like that.

thank you!!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.05(Wed)13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necroposting;
I'm wondering if there's a risk of gill irritation even with something like the very fine silica or the super naturals carib sea sand?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.05(Wed)21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using sand with my goldfish (1 pearl scale 1 oranda 2 fantail in a 55) and the fish seem to love it, the pearl scale digs in it a lot and the oranda looks like he plays in it also. I did spend several hours rinsing it though, and this is my first goldfish tank so I may be observing irregular behavior that just looks like play. Has anyone else kept them on sand before?

Edit: All the fish are realy small right now also, largest is the oranda at maybe 3in including tail.
Quitty_Quat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.06(Thu)6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard from other older fairly established keepers who rave about goldfish tanks with sand substrate, and if you think about it, back in the day, goldfish/carp pretty much lived in sandy/muddy rice paddies... so you'd think a fine sand would be okay. Or even larger smooth particles...
Question
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: